AdWords
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

What are ‘clicks’ really counting in a non-skippable ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What are ‘clicks’ really counting in a non-skippable in-stream ad run through the ad gallery? I’m finding that the number of clicks videos receive through this platform are really quite unbelievable. I feel like they are mostly unintentional clicks, largely because the bounce rates are sky high and Google analytics isn’t counting a lot of them as sessions. It seems more likely that the clicks are actually the full views of the video, and not a click through to the website.
I’ve run the same exact video through the ad gallery and through adwords for video and have seen drastic differences. Same interest targeting, same location, same video and same daily budget. It will differ with say 50 clicks/10,000+ impr (.50% CTR) for the adwords for video and 2,000+ clicks/33,000 impr (5+% CTR) for the ad gallery. Why the large contrast? The AdWords for video data seems a lot more probable and accurate of a representation of how the video is performing.

Thanks

Re: What are ‘clicks’ really counting in a non-skippable ad?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kelly,

The clicks you are getting are the clicks to your website as user tends to click on the video as it's a inskippable video (sometimes could be unintentional). Possibly in the case it's unintentional the user will close the new window and hence high bounce rates also sometimes users close the destination page before it could actually open and hence sometimes GA didnt pick up your clicks.

In adwords for video (Trueview), user has an option to skip the video after 5 secs and hence you might be getting lesser clicks.
Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Regards
Rohit Khanna

Re: What are ‘clicks’ really counting in a non-skippable ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your feedback. I'm assuming a lot of the clicks are incidental as swiping on a mobile device or touching the video in anyway may result in a click. I'm going to switch my strategy to the Trueview option which better reports an intentional and valuable click. The non-skip would be more appropriate for extremely fine tuned targeting settings ie: remarketing list only.

The non-skip are very inexpensive but I'd rather pay per view of someone who chooses to watch an ad rather than by clicks from people who are not a qualified customer or lead....plus avoiding annoyance to a viewer!