Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Video retargeting lists

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I've started a test video campaign based on video retargeting to get familiar with the tool.

I want to retarget users who visited a given video channel. In particular, I want all users who visited such channel to receive my in-stream ad video in their future video watchings.

Unfortunately, despite I see that the video channel is active and can attract views, the size of my retargeting list is still zero after 1 day. This even if I configured it to consider all visitors in the last 30 days.

How can I understand if there is something wrong in my setup?

Thanks,

Stefano

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Video retargeting lists

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Stefano,

Welcome to AdWords Community!

What is the targeting method you've been using in your campaign before using video remarketing? Your YouTube Video should have accrued views for the remarketing list to grow. If you've created a Video Campaign with just remarketing, it wouldn't serve, as the list would be empty. More about Video remarketing here.

Thanks,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Sumanth for your quick reply.

I have not used any targeting method before using video remarketing, and the example under the guide "Create a video remarketing list" in https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2545661?hl=en does not tell to do that.

What do you mean with "Your YouTube Video"? My video ad (the video I want to use as in-stream ad) or the video in the channel that is linked to my adwords account (and whose users I aim to retarget)?
Thanks,

Stefano

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Stefano,

If you're trying to advertise an video in InStream format, you'll have to use a video that is already live on YouTube, as a video in your channel. So both are the same primarily.

Users interacting (view, like, comment, share) with your video or your channel would be captured in the remarketing list. If you've advertised your video using other targeting methods, those users would also be captured in the same list. You can then use this list as audience and show your video ads to users in the list, which is the basic concept behind remarketing.

If you do not have much views on your YouTube video, remarketing list would be empty and technically there would be no audience for your video ads. Could you check your YouTube video and let me know how many views you've got?

Thanks,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth,

Thanks for your reply.

In my testing setup, the video I use as in-stream ad is very unpopular (below 10 views), but the videos I am using as retargeters are all recent and have a number of views above 1000. One of them if even above 40,000. But my remarketing lists are all empty (even if I choose to consider the users in the last 30 days) except for one that I started a couple of days ago and that has 16 users now.
Shoud I just wait a bit more?

Thanks,

Stefano

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Stefano,

Which of these option (in screenshot) did you select while creating a video remarketing list? You'll have to wait for some more time, if you're considering users who've viewed a specific video that isn't popular.

Thanks,

Sumanth

Vrm.png

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth,

Unfortunately I can not open your attachment Smiley Sad.

Stefano

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi Stefano,

Looks like a technical issue. You should be able to view this image uploaded to an external source. Please check and let me know which option you've selected.

Thanks,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth,

I have created two different remarketing lists. For the first one I have selected "Viewed any video from a channel" and for the second I have selected "Viewed certain video(s)". For both I have selected "Include users from the last 30 days".
However, I see that now the two the lists have 150 and 100 users, respectively, but my ad video has not been viewed yet.

Thanks,

Stefano

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Stefano,

While you can wait for your videos to get a good number of viewers, you can try increasing bids for the targeting groups. A list size of 100 & 150 should be good to go initially.

Cheers,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar