Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Video display network going beyond targeting options

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have a video campaign, in which I have an ad group which uses only 1 targeting option (except the default demographics), namely a specific video on YouTube.  Ad format is InStream.

So I certainly was surprised when that ad group got lots of impressions, but none for the targeted video! However, there was a a whole range of other placements in the report, automatics ones, that I had not targeted!

Without being able to find a reason for that, my best guess was that it had something to do with the campiagn configuration, which was set to "YouTube-videos" AND "Video-partners". So I opted out from "Video-partners".

And the next day: impressions for ad group went down.

That strange I thought and turned on "Video-partners" again.

And impressions went up again! Not for my targeted video however.

Can someone explain why this is happening, and/or confirm that this actually is how the system works: that when you opt in for "Video-partners" your targeting gets broader and beyond your ad group targeting.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Video display network going beyond targeting options

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi David,
Are you still looking for assistance with this?
Kathleen

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes indeed

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Still looking for an answers to this...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi David,

While I cannot provide you with Google level insights here, I have also explored this a bit myself.

Other than this snippet, I'm unable to find too much information.  So, it appears that yes, the reach is extended - but the how is a mystery to me, especially if you're only targeting a specific video.

-Tommy

yt-networks.jpg

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks
Would be nice if a PM or someone who really knows could verify that