Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Video campaign targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adwords Community

I am doing some Video campaigns on Youtube at the moment (most of that are In-stream to get views). The campaign I ran is about cinema offers. I optimized base on the placement because I want my ads to be shown to relevance audiences (ideally, I want my ads to be shown on videos such as movie trailers, and topics such as new blockbusters, actors, actresses...)

And after trying difference targeting methods I realize following points:

1. Keywords targeting (such as trailers, tom cruise, mission impossible...) failed miserably. I did some research, and it seems like Video In-stream cannot target based on keywords. In-search, in-display it worked, but the number of view is too low to be effective.

2. Interest (in-market and affinity). It worked, but the results are very bad. My ads are shown on many irrelevant videos (kids, music...)

3. Topic targeting. It is suppose to work, but the number of view is too low (and I don't know why?). The budget poured into Interest targeting, leaving Topic targeting with just a few view

4. Placement. I put my ads on Movie trailers channels, and videos that relate to movie topics. But it seems like these placement only accept banner ads. They showed no love for in-stream ads Smiley Sad(

Overall, my whole In-stream campaign failed. It still gets views. But the quality of video placement (where my in-stream ads are shown) did not satisfy me.

So, can anyone in community can share their success with video targeting. I would love to hear it

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phong N
September 2015

Re: Video campaign targeting

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Phong,

Are these targeting methods used in different targeting groups? Using all of them in a one targeting group would narrow down your target audience, as ads would show when all criteria are met.

InStream performance depends a lot on the video itself, like the length of the video and how engaging it is.

I would recommend, separating InDisplay & InStream formats into two campaigns, to avoid budget getting eaten up by InStream (since it is pushed) and use different targeting groups in each campaign.

For instance, I'd create two campaigns to target 'Film & Animation' topic: The first campaign containing one targeting group, with InStream ads and 'Film & Animation' topic. The Second campaign with two targeting groups, one with the topic and the other with keywords like trailers, tom cruise, mission impossible, etc, dedicated to InDisplay ads.

You can use a similar kind of structure for Affinity or InMarket audiences. In a nutshell, you'll have to split campaigns by formats & Networks, then use separate targeting groups, based on the ad format.

Let me know if that helps!

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
I see a couple of concerns here- Placement quality not satisfactory & Poor View Through Rate. Could you share the link to YouTube video being promoted?
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth Sridhar,

I am sorry I cannot post the link here, because it's client information.

Anyway, I dug up a bit into this matter.

So here is the list of youtube topics:
Autos and Vehicles
Comedy
Education
Film & Animation
Gaming
Howto & Style
Music
News & Politics
Nonprofits & Activism
People & Blogs
Pets & Animals
Science & Technology
Sports
Travel & Events

But the list of topics for Video Advertising is similar to GDN list of topics:

So how do you advertise your ads on, let's say "Film & Animation" category on Youtube
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phong N
September 2015

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Phong,

Are these targeting methods used in different targeting groups? Using all of them in a one targeting group would narrow down your target audience, as ads would show when all criteria are met.

InStream performance depends a lot on the video itself, like the length of the video and how engaging it is.

I would recommend, separating InDisplay & InStream formats into two campaigns, to avoid budget getting eaten up by InStream (since it is pushed) and use different targeting groups in each campaign.

For instance, I'd create two campaigns to target 'Film & Animation' topic: The first campaign containing one targeting group, with InStream ads and 'Film & Animation' topic. The Second campaign with two targeting groups, one with the topic and the other with keywords like trailers, tom cruise, mission impossible, etc, dedicated to InDisplay ads.

You can use a similar kind of structure for Affinity or InMarket audiences. In a nutshell, you'll have to split campaigns by formats & Networks, then use separate targeting groups, based on the ad format.

Let me know if that helps!

Sumanth Sridhar

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
oops, I just had a close look - since all of these are topics, it wouldn't actually narrow down your traffic. But if you were to layer topics, interests and placements in a single targeting group, it would narrow down your reach.
Sumanth Sridhar

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your answer.

I haven't though about separating InDisplay & InStream formats before. It is good idea

BTW I ran separate targeting (1 for Placement, 1 for Contextual Topic, 1 for Interest Affinity). I think that Interest Affinity adgroup is eating up the budget of Contextual adgroup though. So I decided to pause Interest Affinity adgroup, to see any difference in performance.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm finding the exact same thing happening to me. And with the new adgroup structure, I'm very confused now about how (or if?) to go about separating my adgroups. My in-stream campaign that contains placements is not showing on any of placements. My in-display campaign that only contains 50+ keywords is not showing at all. I've tried both broad match and phrase match (does that even matter?). Do I now make different adgroups with niche keywords? But when I broaden it up, my ads show in places that are irrelevant. I'm so frustrated with the lack of targeting and - now with the new integration, the lack of help.

-M

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mich

This is my recent experience with Video campaign. This campaign I ran only inSearch and inDisplay. InStream, my Video is shown on many junk clips, so I disabled it.

This is the result:

In-search:
- Interest targeting works
- Placement targeting doesn't works
- Topic targeting works (and I don't know how did it work?)
- Keywords targeting works beautifully

InDisplay (youtube overlay, related videos, I disabled GDN)
- Interest targeting works
- Placement targeting (doesn't work, because Impression is so low)
- Topic targeting works
- Keywords targeting also works

KEY LEARNING ABOUT YOUTUBE ADS:
1. Divide your budget into 3 campaigns: in-stream, in-search, and in-display
2. For each campaign, create 4 adgroups and compare them with each other (Interest targeting, Topic targeting, placement targeting, and Keywords targeting)
3. If you don't want your video to be shown on irrelevant videos, then disable In-stream and in-Display, focus only on In-search
4. In-Display, your clips will be auto-played after other video. So disable it if you don't feel comfortable.
5. If you insist in running Display in Youtube. I suggest you use GDN, and use 728x90 and 300x250 banner, it will be more expensive, but more effective

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the info Phong! I will have to try this way of breaking out my adgroups. No GDN inclusion here. Though I may experiment with it at a later date.

I'm noticing that my "placement" campaign is running on placements other than the ones I've told it to run on - which is super annoying, but I believe it's because you can no longer turn off the demographics targeting. So, I'm targeting certain videos and it's still managing to run in irrelevant places. Any advice here?

Thanks for your advice,
-Mich

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mich

You should break your Youtube campaigns into smaller campaigns (in-search, in-stream, and in-display), then break each campaign into smaller adgroups (interest, topic, keyword, placement and remarketing). Then hopefully, you can find the problem.

To be honest, my videos are shown on many irrelevant place, and I think the targeting system of youtube is broken. So I shift the main budget into In-search (at least customers have to click on the ads, so it filter out irrelevant audiences). And spend money on GDN (with Youtube placement), it is a safe choice. From my observation, people hate In-stream ads, so don't bother with it