AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Very low average watch time from advertising campaign (From 3.5 min to only 41 sec)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Guys,

I recently launched a video ad campaign for discovery ads. I'm targeting the US and UK markets with a specific keywords that I want my video to be shown 

The problem I'm having is that My average video watch time was about 3.5 Min from 10 min video, but since I launched the campaign the average video watch time is only 41 second. (I think my videos are reasonably good quality and shouldn't be the reason for people clicking away)

I know that discovery ads are being just introduced back after a while and if that might it but I really doubt it.

Do you think it could be to do with a bad targeting or any other reason.

Kind Regards,

Janis

1 Expert replyverified_user

Very low average watch time from advertising campaign (From 3.5 min to only 41 sec)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

The average could be misleading here.

What is the 90% point?  The point at which 90 of the audience abandons. (In videos longer than 2 mins, typically there is a share decrease in audience, right at the beginning)

My experience - the decline is  because of a broad  audience targeting: some of the traffic is irrelevant. (i.e. users click on an ad, and directed to a video they show no interest in its topic)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @MosheTLV,

What seems strange to me is that people watch the video for 30 - 40 seconds (until I get counted view) and then click off. In my mind and I personally, would close the video in first 10 - 15 seconds if the video is not for me.

Question @MosheTLV:

Does 90% point take into consideration those people who leave the video after 5 seconds of watching it? 

I just realised that I don't have clicks enabled in the dashboard so I actually don't know how many clicks I'm getting on the videos. This would explain my low average watch time if all the views are counted.

Thanks for targeting advice as well. At the moment I'm targeting keywords to trigger my ads. But I will try to narrow down the audience by targeting YouTube Channels with my target audience to improve my watch time and other engagement metrics like Subscribers, comments, likes and etc.

Have an awesome day @MosheTLV

Kind Regards,

Janis

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

90% point is the point in which you are left with 10% of the users who stated the watch the video. Typical plot shows a sharp decline after 10-20 sex when most of the users abandon. You need a third party tool to measure that.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’