Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Unable to only target placements

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to run an Youtube campaign with placements targeting.

I went through the process and selected about 15 videos that looked relevant, but the campaign doesn't seem to have used any of these. Instead, demographic data seems to have been used, and if I go into the Keywords - Search Terms tab, I see where the views actually came from (a lot of unrelated search terms).

I saw in some older demos how the campaign shouldn't have any demographic targeting, but when I try to uncheck the options there, I cannot uncheck the very last one (Removal of the last of your targeting isn't allowed...).

That makes sense, but then how do I make sure that the campaign only targets the placements and nothing else?

Am I missing something obvious? Thank you,

Eugen.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unable to only target placements

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Use "Phrase Match" keyword hop your unrelated search terms problem will solve

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the quick answer. Can you please be a bit more specific about where that option is available and exactly how I should use it?
Cheers,
Eugen.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
Just following up on this one to see if anyone has any idea how to use the placement targeting (only).
Thanks,
Eugen.

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
Hi Eugen,

Yes, you should be able to simply target placements in a campaign targeting YouTube. And to clarify on Md Mehedi H's point--keyword match types are not an option in Video campaigns. But it doesn't sound like you are using keyword targeting anyhow!

I'd be interested to see what settings you have on the campaign. When you click into your Video campaign and go to the Settings tab, and then All Settings, which Networks do you have checked off under the Networks section?

From there, can you check your Video Targeting tab, and once that page loads, click on the gray Placements button directly underneath the Video Targeting tab--and let me know, do you see the list of placements you chose there?

Thanks,
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Cassie, thanks for following up on this.
Yes, I can see the full list of placements there - that's why I'm confused. The list is there, but it's not being used (0 views on all of them) - so the views are coming from someplace else.
Here's what that looks like (took a screenshot): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7I8VkcfPydRMFpneThoZ1Z1Rzg/view?usp=sharing
Hope it helps - and if you need any other screenshot to understand the campaign, definitely let me know. Cheers,
Eugen.

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Hi Eugen,

Thanks very much for sharing the screenshot, that's helpful!

So my next question: is the ad group set to in-display or in-stream targeting? If you want your video ad to run as a "pre-roll" before one of your placement videos, you will want to have it set to in-stream.

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I considered that, but - at least for this initial campaign - I wanted to only go with suggestions around that video. So - while someone is watching one of the selected videos, they would see my related video as a suggestion in their youtube sidebar.
The type of the ad group is: in-display.
Hope that helps. Cheers and thanks again for taking the time to diagnose this,
Eugen.

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
Hi Eugen,

I think the issue may be your Network settings then, in the campaign as a whole. For an in-display ad to only show alongside videos, you'll want to make sure you only have "YouTube Videos" checked off in the Networks list. Was that the case when you were trying to run this?

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I thought of that when I created the campaign and yes, that's the only setting I selected. I just checked and that's still the case now on the paused campaign. That's why this is puzzling.