Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Strange placements - not related to my targeting options

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've got a video advert that is targeting some travel related keywords, as well as demographics and locations (in the campaign settings). These are all in the same group, so they'd all need to match to display the in-video ad I have.

I'm wondering why, when reviewing my placement report from Analytics, my advert is appearing before the likes of these videos (in a foreign language, no keyword-related targeting, no content related to travel):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ19GIZRKtw

Thanks for any advice!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Strange placements - not related to my targeting options

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Your ads are targeted to the language your audience speak not to the language the video written in, so if you are targeting the English language in US and your audience are watching some Spanish videos your ads will still show to them as they specify the language preference as English

Also, Keep in mind Keywords apply only to search on YouTube and don't apply to videos on Youtube.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt T
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
This confused me too at the beginning.
The keywords you use in your targeting have NO EFFECT when it comes to the video being watched by the user in your target.

In your case, think of it like this. You're running two separate campaigns in one campaign. The search and the display campaign. The keywords are how Google serves your ads on the search network (Youtube Search) and the targeting group is how Google serves your ads on the display network (video views)

Ahmed gave a pretty great answer in this regard.

For video advertising, you are targeting PEOPLE in your targeting group. In your case, a Polish girl aged 27, sitting at work on merrion square and watching Youtube videos falls perfectly into your targeting.

Does that make sense?

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Matt,
If you're targeting demographics, interests and affinity segments, your ads can appear anywhere your AUDIENCE is. Please note that in video ads, the target groups are in ADDITION to your keyword targeting by default, not the target keywords within your target audience. Does that make sense?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the quick reply. Not 100% if I follow! I've got 1 targeting group setup, within this group I have Demographics (all genders, all ages above 25) and then I have Keywords added.
The overall video campaign is set to show only in Dublin (from the campaign settings).

From Google help pages I've read:
"... if you target a specific keyword, age, and channel, your ads will only be shown when all those methods match your ad at the same time. This can restrict your impressions significantly."

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2454017?hl=en

Maybe that explains my situation better, thanks again for your help!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Your ads are targeted to the language your audience speak not to the language the video written in, so if you are targeting the English language in US and your audience are watching some Spanish videos your ads will still show to them as they specify the language preference as English

Also, Keep in mind Keywords apply only to search on YouTube and don't apply to videos on Youtube.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt T
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
This confused me too at the beginning.
The keywords you use in your targeting have NO EFFECT when it comes to the video being watched by the user in your target.

In your case, think of it like this. You're running two separate campaigns in one campaign. The search and the display campaign. The keywords are how Google serves your ads on the search network (Youtube Search) and the targeting group is how Google serves your ads on the display network (video views)

Ahmed gave a pretty great answer in this regard.

For video advertising, you are targeting PEOPLE in your targeting group. In your case, a Polish girl aged 27, sitting at work on merrion square and watching Youtube videos falls perfectly into your targeting.

Does that make sense?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That makes perfect sense. Thanks Dave, and thanks Ahmed.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
No worries.
Anything else, just shout.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Matt,

There is more to analyze about your situation to understand how to setup targeting to meet your goals.

What Video Ad formats are you using in your campaign ?

If you are using only TrueView In-Stream, the keywords targeting do not work, keywords work as targeting only if you choose the TrueView In-Display Video ad format.

If you look in the reporting in your Video Ad campaign, in the Targets tab, to the bottom right you have choices for "Where your ads were shown:" . Click on "Youtube search keywords" after selecting a large enough time-range such as 7 days. If you see some terms there, it means your ad is set as "In-Display".