2.3K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Standard ad delivery acting as if Accelerated

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello I'm a content creator on YouTube and have been using AdWords off and on for about 3 years now to help the search rankings of certain videos that I think would benefit (great content that is engaging, etc) from using an advertising platform.

Recently I did real good on a video so naturally I wanted to promote it... for the entire 3 years I had never bothered with "standard" and recently tried it, and WOW! What a difference! The ad was shown evenly over the course of the day and I couldn't be happier.... until..

For a few days now this video ad ( I do single-ad campaigns) has started running like its accelerated again! As soon as a new day goes into effect it gets like 100-160 views a hour, and that's using CHEAP  keywords too at [$0.01]  per click/view.  I have the daily limit set to $6 a day so that many clicks in a single hour depletes my budget in just 3-4 hours. Not very evenly distributed in my opinion. (I can watch this happening in Realtime using the YouTube analytics tab in the creators dashboard) Also, I'm using only like 6 keywords/phrases and out of those only one is getting all the attention. I've included a screenshot of the video's data taken at the same time of writing this.. Do you see the first time it used the daily limit, then it started again only after the champaign scheduling kicked in. Does this look normal?youtube realtime screen shot.png

Why 240 clicks in a single hour costing about $2.20 when the budget is set to only $6?

Things I tried to fix this:

1)  I changed the delivery method back to accelerated for a few hours then changed it back to standard hoping it would acknowledge the setting maybe

2)  Set the schedule to sometime AFTER this event happens (and all that did was change the time it started the accelerated delivery method behavior)

3) Ask you guys lol

Even if I don't gain full control of this champaign I'll STILL be using the Google AdWords product as it helps my channel grow... a lot!  It's not like I have a huge business that is in danger, I'm just curious what would make a campaign deplete when using standard delivery...?  My apologies if this is a bit trivial in scope, but in the future I would like to increase my budget a LOT and just want a little feedback from the pro's

Thank you for your time!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Standard ad delivery acting as if Accelerated

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Thomas,

Please go through this article - http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/ads/adtrafficquality/advertisers/valid-reasons-for-increases-in-tr...

Hope it will answer your queries.

Regards,
Ashish
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Thomas W
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Thomas W

Do your clicks/impressions actually stop later in the day or are you still receiving them and appearing to go over budget?  It seems fairly common for YouTube campaigns to overspend, especially when first started, but you'll only actually be charged for what your daily budget stipulates.  When AdWords has to work out how to spend your budget evenly throughout the day it has to make a "best guess" of how many impressions can be allowed per hour that'll result in clicks equalling your budget.  For some reason this seems to be harder on YouTube than it is on Search.

Bear in mind each time you make a change to the budget or the settings you're effectively moving the goalposts so frequent changes can often complicate the problem, not solve it, so I'd recommend letting things steady down a little, then examine the data for a reasonable historical period - at least 48 hours old.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback! You were right it has now evened out.. I should have just given it more time, also I never thought about how changing settings could reset everything either. I just guilty of letting it run the same way for years but now I want to get into optimizing and been playing around with things lol

Even after 4 years on YT and using AdWords I am still learning so much... it's exciting even if I don't perform like the bigger channels. But I believe I can REALLY dig-in using AdWords and love the service. I been thinking about dropping a LOT of money on that "special" video ...like 100's maybe. You ever hear of people doing that? Can't go wrong if the content is good. here's another photo for fun, I think it's just a REALLY good thumbnail and it's consumed faster than expected. I'm only using one keyword phrase but it's super relevant, for example,  a hotdog video with the keyword hotdog LOL ..just an example. Also, I can't forget about video engagements like sharing and liking the video is also occurring 

Thanks again and sorry for not giving it a little more time

~Tom

youtube realtime screen shot 2.png

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey @Thomas W no need to apologise, we're all here to learn and it's good to hear from someone who's really enjoying the product.  Please do become a regular here and feel free to ask anything anytime.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Standard ad delivery acting as if Accelerated

N/A
# 6
N/A

I'm a total rookie, but have learned a lot, just by ease-dropping in your correspondence here. I'm interested in creating YouTube video's for my business and including in Google campaigns. Thomas, I was just wondering if you do your own YouTube videos, but it sounds like you pay for them. Any tips on creating YouTube as well as your Google campaigns would be helpful.