Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Separating In-Stream and In-Display

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Is there any benefit to separating out campaigns by In-Stream and In-Display?

Ad Words makes it easy enough to segment for reporting.

My main question is whether or not the nature of the differences in performance affects the campaigns.

For instance, if I have in-stream ad with a 50% view rate and an in-display ad with a 5% view rate in the same campaign- would my campaign perform worsen because the average view rate (as well as other metrics) is brought down?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sachin M
September 2015

Re: In-stream link to URL question

ANP Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
ANP Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sachin,

While there won't be any consequences on your campaign performance (it wouldn't behave any differently) there may be some advantages to this approach. Some people do like to separate TrueView In-Display Ads into their own campaign so that they won’t get them mixed up with TrueView In-Stream Ads when they review performance. Similarly, doing so allows you to set and control a separate budget.

Hope this helps,

ANP

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sachin M
September 2015

ANP Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
ANP Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sachin,

While there won't be any consequences on your campaign performance (it wouldn't behave any differently) there may be some advantages to this approach. Some people do like to separate TrueView In-Display Ads into their own campaign so that they won’t get them mixed up with TrueView In-Stream Ads when they review performance. Similarly, doing so allows you to set and control a separate budget.

Hope this helps,

ANP

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks!
That was my reasoning as well.

Just curious- are there any resources (Google or third-party) that you could share about this?
People have written loads on Quality Score for Ad Words but I haven't found much on Ad Words for video.
How does Google rank video ads? What determines "good" quality?

Sorry ANP - I realize this is a much different question than the original!

Any articles or light you could shed would be great.

Thanks again,

Sachin

ANP Community Manager
Community Manager
# 4
ANP Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sachin,

Its a good question. The reason you haven't see much about Quality Score for video ads is because they are on the GDN and, while we do calculate and use them,  we don't actually show display network Quality Scores. I know. While a video ad's actual Quality Score is a combined value that pulls in many different metrics, a good discussion around how they are comprised on the GDN can be found here. While the Quality Score itself is not disclosed, there are a couple of other key ways to gauge the performance of your video. If you were wondering how they ultimately get used, the GDN works on auction principles and factors in Quality Score in much the same way as on Google Search. 

Hope that helps at least a bit,

ANP