2K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Seasonal Fluctuations on Youtube

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I saw a post earlier that asked about seasonal fluctuations as it relates to video ads but wanted to expand:

Is there really a seasonal ad fluctuation on Youtube that appears year-after-year?

If so, what causes it? Is it some natural ebb and flow from human viewing habits on a large scale? Or is it more influenced by advertisers buying up inventory, following seasonal advertising patterns (e.g. Back to School, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, etc.)? Both?

Unlike the earlier poster, I had massive delivery at the start of summer (with very low bids), which I attributed to summer vacation and more eyes on YT, followed by a crash in views around Back to School (again, attributing it to students opening up their text books, and for the younger ones, their parents refocusing their energies on schooling).

If seasonal fluctuations exists--and the data made public--it would be invaluable to ad ops teams, as it would prepare us for periods of increased bidding, and for management, an expectation of diminished margins.

I don't have the experience to organically grasp seasonal fluctuations (not yet anyways), so I'd be grateful if the community can provide some insight.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Seasonal Fluctuations on Youtube

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nick
seasonal fluctuations in YouTube are heavily influenced by trends. Reoccurring trends like Christmas and Superbowl will tend to influence trends.

Re: Seasonal Fluctuations on Youtube

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Nick,

Some topics can be very seasonal. I would recommend using keyword planner and look for the fluctuations in search queries over time. One of our clients is a Dock and Boat Lift company who's business is very seasonal. Every spring and summer they are swamped but during the winter very few people are looking for their products.

As far as Youtube as a whole being seasonal with it's traffic, I would think that it isn't. I'm sure many people use Youtube searches for scholastic activities.