5.2K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Retargeting the Competition on YouTube

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can I retarget someone who watches, likes, etc. a competitors video?

For example, if my brand is Coke, can I target people who have currently reacted with a Pepsi video?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anson S
September 2015

Re: Retargeting the Competition on YouTube

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Anson,

Retargeting lists are populated by a tracking code that you generate and place where needed. Seeing as you are not able to place tracking code on a website/video you do not own it is not possible to track those people in a remarketing list.

learn about remarketing here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454000?hl=en

Hope this helps

Re: Retargeting the Competition on YouTube

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

There is an expensive work-around.

You can place your own video Ad as TrueView In-Stream on another video, if that video is monetized ,by using Placements to restrict serving the video ad serve inside that other video.

This way everybody who sees that particular Video Ad initialized the competitor video at first and you can build a remarketing  audience from there by using the rule "Viewed certain videos as Ads", while that "certain video" would be your own video from your channel.

Of course in case of big brands they do not monetize their videos and you have no chance to target their own TV ads from their channel but since you can't know in advance you can try and see if targeting this way accumulates impressions/views.