AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Possible to bid separately on specific Youtube videos or Youtube channels?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi.  I'm running a Youtube "In Stream" video ad campaign.  I am using "Placements" to target specific Youtube videos and Youtube channels.

All the Youtube vidoes and channels I am targeting are under the same ad group.  From what I can see, I can change the bid for the ad group but this affects all the Youtube videos and Youtube channels I am targeting.

Given all my Youtube vidoes and Youtube channels are under the same ad group, my question is, is there a way to bid on each separate Youtube video and Youtube channel?  

For example, there may be a Youtube video I am targeting where the click through rate and conversion is higher for me.  So of course, I want to bid higher only for that specific Youtube video.  Or there may be a poorly performing Youtube video I am targeting so I want to lower my bid on that video.  Unfortunately, I can't find a way to bid on specific Youtube videos or channels.  I can only change the bid on the entire ad group which affects all the Youtube videos and Youtube channels under that ad group.

PS. We can bid separately for each keyword.  Why can't we bid separately for each Youtube video or Youtube channel we are targeting?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gadwin G
June 2016

Re: Possible to bid separately on specific Youtube videos or Youtube channels?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Gadwin G

That's a good question.  You actually used to be able to when video ads were in a separate platform. In the old platform there were no ad groups. There were just targeting groups, and they had more limits than the ad groups now.  I think the answer to "Why can't we bid separately for each Youtube video or Youtube channel we are targeting?" is a combination of changes that needed to be made so it will work in the Adwords platform, and the fact that direct placements are not an optimal targeting method for most objectives. 

It sounds like it is something that works for you, so we'll just figure out a work around.

If you find specific videos or channels you want to target directly, create a new ad group just for them. You may even want to break these out into different campaigns to make organization easier.  You can use the copy and paste feature to reproduce other settings you may have entered, and then just go in and change the placement and ad group name.

Hope that makes sense.

Re: Possible to bid separately on specific Youtube videos or Youtube channels?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks. I am using different ad groups to overcome this problem.  Your help was appreciated!