2.7K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Placing my video ads where I have not specified

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

still don';t understand when doing video ad campaigns if I use exact match keywords only I'm only using the youtube search network why does google place my ad on the display network for keywords I have not added?

Any help would be appreciated

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Placing my video ads where I have not specified

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Val,

Firstly, match types do not work on the Display Network. Secondly, if you're using YouTube search keywords as a targeting criteria for InDisplay ads, your ads can also show on placements that match your keyword list based on contextual targeting. I'd suggest adding exclusions and negatives, if you'd like to have more control over where your ads are shown.

Hope that helps!
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Val,

Firstly, match types do not work on the Display Network. Secondly, if you're using YouTube search keywords as a targeting criteria for InDisplay ads, your ads can also show on placements that match your keyword list based on contextual targeting. I'd suggest adding exclusions and negatives, if you'd like to have more control over where your ads are shown.

Hope that helps!
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for your response but how do you know what the exclusions and negatives are until google reveals them to you and by that time you've spent money on worthless placements. Can you point me to an article maybe where I can learn more about this because right now it is a waste of money. I'm only using the search network is that considered display? my understanding was that match type only worked on search and that's all I'm using.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Val,

There's a lot of difference between standard Google search and YouTube search. Firstly, the search mechanism isn't that robust like Google search. Secondly, YouTube is a part of Google Display Network and hence match types do not work here. Moreover, there's keyword contextual targeting which makes your ads appear alongside relevant videos which aren't a result of user's search.

Coming back to exclusions, here's an article you can refer. You can also use the placement tool available within the video campaign, to search & identify relevant placements and target them in a separate targeting group. In-Market is yet another targeting method you can use in a separate targeting group and bid up, as it is more ROI focused.

Feel free to write back with questions.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar