Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Targeting with In-Stream Ads on YouTube

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone!

Getting very conflicting answers from everywhere, and I don't know the correct answer - if anyone can help, I really appreciate it! My question:

Does KEYWORD TARGETING with YouTube In-Stream Ads mean that my video shows to people who have searched for those keywords on Google in their recent search history?

OR, does it only apply to searches in their YouTube search history?

Rep at Google told me it was definitely the former - but the online information is very vague, and other advertising people I've spoken with say that it's only on YouTube search history.

Would love to hear what you think... or if anyone knows the answer for sure.

Thanks, 

KD

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Targeting with In-Stream Ads on YouTube

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Kevin D;

Not sure about the difference between the 2 options, because they both "link" the user's intent to keywords - either by past history or by current search.

Keywords is targeting on video work collectively to create a theme which is matched to users who show intent or have interest   in this theme

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV

Yes you are correct, however, IF google search history impacts youtube ad keyword targeting, that is much different than targeting based upon youtube search history.

There are some things people will almost NEVER search for in youtube that we would love to target.

i.e. Divorce attorneys targeting people who have searched for marriage counselors on google.

Make sense?

KD

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This is not that simple algorithm... Google does not disclose how its machine learning infers  the user's intent. Many signals are used, not just past search queries (regardless if run on YT or on Google)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks - rep told me today that Google searches DO NOT impact how it serves up YouTube in-stream ads.

I understand you say the algorithm isn't simple - but either YT ads are served based on Google search history or they aren't.

It's either yes or no Smiley Happy

And it makes a BIG difference for some businesses - because, again, some things will almost NEVER be searched for on YT that are searched for on Google.

KD

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Nope; This is not yes or no. It's a whole complex matrix of signals to target audience. A search terms could be rarely used, yet the theme  would be matched  and ad will be shown (to the user) based on other signals.

I would strongly recommend reading the following blog by Google:

>>"As more viewership on YouTube shifts to mobile, we’re making it easier for advertisers to deliver more relevant, useful ads across screens. Now, information from activity associated with users’ Google accounts (such as demographic information and past searches) may be used to influence the ads those users see on YouTube."

https://adwords.googleblog.com/2017/01/making-youtube-better-in-mobile-cross.html

By "activity associated with users’ Google accounts" Google means:

>>We may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other Google services – for example to make it easier to share things with people you know. Depending on your account settings, your activity on other sites and apps may be associated with your personal information in order to improve Google’s services and the ads delivered by Google.

>>"Our automated systems analyze your content (including emails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customized search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection.

https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/#infouse

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great info and thank you very much!

The answer based on that post is yes, but your yes/no middle answer is probably accurate. My layperson's view of that is that if someone shows a tendency on google to search for, read, etc on a topic, that will influence ads they see on youtube.

My more immediate question - which we are testing soon - is whether searches (for example) for "marriage counselor" on google (even if once or twice) would open the door for my divorce attorney client to advertise to that individual on youtube.

This assumes that searcher doesn't spend any time whatsoever on YT looking at things relating to this subject.

In any case, thanks for the information and replies - great stuff!

KD

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Funny how difficult it is to get a straight forward answer on this subject. To me it is a yes/no but apparently it's much more mystical than that. How did your test work out?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

The funniest part as per my tests is that taking discovery ads apart, keyword targeting for true view instream ads works based on channel owner tags (the ones they decide to assign to their videos) on each video and has nothing to do with search terms or search intend/behavioral... 

And we all know that content creators tags are a big mess so, after checking where my ads were delivered based on keywords I decided to only target campaigns to manually selected channels. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Do we still pay just for the first 30 seconds if we enter keywords for in-stream ads?