1.7K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Interaction Rate vs CTR for YouTube Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can someone tel me what is the difference between Interaction Rate and CTR for a YouTube Ad?

The problem is that I think my Ad Quality is doping (I have a 1.36% interaction rate and CTR: 0.01%)

My stats:

Display Impr. share: <10%
Display Lost IS (rank): >90%
Relative CTR: 1.3x
CTR: 0.01%
Interaction Rate: 137%

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Interaction Rate vs CTR for YouTube Ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Catalin M wrote:

Can someone tel me what is the difference between Interaction Rate and CTR for a YouTube Ad?

The problem is that I think my Ad Quality is doping (I have a 1.36% interaction rate and CTR: 0.01%)

My stats:

Display Impr. share: <10%
Display Lost IS (rank): >90%
Relative CTR: 1.3x
CTR: 0.01%
Interaction Rate: 137%

@catalin m - did you mean to write "Interaction Rate: 1.37%" above? The number seems off.

There seems to be two questions in your post. A view of a video is not the same as a click on the video. An interaction is a view, when it comes to YT/video ads, a click is an "interaction" for the search ads.

Here is a quote from and a link to the support file for more info: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6162977?ctx=tltp#interactions

The “Interactions” column counts the user action that matters most for each campaign, making it possible to review the campaigns’ combined performance at a glance (without having to include both the Clicks and Video Views columns in your report).

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julia,

Yes I meant "Interaction Rate: 1.37%" Smiley Happy

Then I have a big problem. CRT is used to calculate Ad Quality, right? And my Ad has very few clicks, that's why on the first 2 days my campaign is doing well (many impressions) and after 2-3 days my impressions drop? 

My CRT is low because the link to my site is in the video ad description and that doesn't count as a click? Can you confirm this?

On my ad video I have also 3 cards and 3 annotations to link to my site BUT now one is clicking them! ppl click on the link from video description instead. 

So how am I supposed to increase my ad score (CRT rate)? Can you please advise? 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Catalin M wrote:

Hi Julia,

Yes I meant "Interaction Rate: 1.37%" Smiley Happy

Then I have a big problem. CRT is used to calculate Ad Quality, right? And my Ad has very few clicks, that's why on the first 2 days my campaign is doing well (many impressions) and after 2-3 days my impressions drop? 

My CRT is low because the link to my site is in the video ad description and that doesn't count as a click? Can you confirm this?

On my ad video I have also 3 cards and 3 annotations to link to my site BUT now one is clicking them! ppl click on the link from video description instead. 

So how am I supposed to increase my ad score (CRT rate)? Can you please advise? 

Hi @Catalin M

Ok, so while Quality Score certainly depends on a click through rate (CTR) for search = text ads, Video campaigns are different. Many YT advertisers aim to raise awareness -- meaning to have their video viewed and not so much clicked on -- those advertisers would all be "in trouble," because their CTR would be super low. So do not worry about your CTR with YT ads.

One benchmark to use is a View Rate. You want to aim for a 20% view rate or higher. Enable the View Rate and the Cost per View (CPV) columns in your reports.

Ultimately, you can assess whether or not you're "in trouble" from your goal completion rate. If your goal is to drive clicks to your website (and subsequently to get them take an action on your site, i.e. newsletter sign up, or a download of an e-book, etc), and you aren't seeing that materializing, then and only then do you need to reevaluate either the type of campaign or the type of targeting, or the offer in your videos, or all of the above.

But first make sure you do have full visibility in the process. Setup tracking in AdWords AND in Google Analytics. Set up goals and make sure that you are also tracking whatever other channels (FB, IG, email, etc) that bring traffic to your site.

Then you'll be able to evaluate the performance of your video campaigns fully.

As to confirming whether or not you're charged for a click in the video description, think about this.. If your videos are the skippable ads inside another video, then a viewer couldn't have seen your video's description, thus they must have clicked to navigate to your video "watch page" (you paid for that click) and only then saw the description and clicked the link in the description. If the viewer found your YT ad via a YouTube search, then they have to again click on the ad result to be able to see your video's description. And you paid for that click. 

In summary, and I apologize if I'm repeating myself at this point, this message is getting long Smiley Happy.. If your goal is to drive traffic to the site, then evaluate whether or not your YT campaigns are doing that. If the goal is to have your videos viewed than evaluate per that goal. If your goal is to drive an action on the site, then track the click all the way to that important action and figure out if the campaigns are bringing return on investment that you're comfortable with.

So don't worry about the quality and rank so much, and evaluate from the performance stand point. If a campaign isn't achieving a goal you set out to reach (provided you have full visibility=tracking), that is when you need to worry and pause that campaign and re-think the approach. If the campaign is achieving the goal(s), but at too high a cost, then tweak targeting until you reach target performance

Hope this helps.

Julia

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julia,

Then I don't understand why my impressions are going down when my view rate is going up... 

(It's a YouTube Display Ad) 

Please take a look at this print Screen:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9O_odSePgn4NExQTy1OTDZ4aXM

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Catalin M

It looks like AdWords is optimizing for you, hence number of views is going down, while performance is going up. It's serving less to those who aren't likely to view. Thus less exposure, but you're getting the more likely to view. Or that may be a normal fluctuation in your case. That, however, isn't as much a concern as your view rate is imo. Although I do not have a visibility into your targets and goals I do think your view rate is quite low. You want to be closer to 20%, you're now at 1.38% per your screenshot.

You seem to have gathered quite a considerable exposure information - your impression numbers are very strong, I'd start optimizing (Even though you campaign may be only a few days old). Optimize the various targeting options around the goal you have in mind.

For example, if view rate is your goal, then..

Navigate to your targeting selection (i.e. demographics, topics, keywords, interests, placements) and start pausing any targeting that doesn't have good view rates without mercy. Don't delete anything, just pause. 

Make decisions only when you think you are looking at a big enough chunk of data. In other words, don't pause an "interests" or "keywords" or "topics" or a "demographic" or a "placement" targeting b/c you have 50 impressions and a low view rate, let that accumulate more data. I am stating the obvious here just in case Smiley Happy.

Optimize the biggest areas of impact. Pause a targeting parameter that has 3000 or 1000 impressions and a low view rate. Or determine what number is big enough on your own depending on how concentrated your numbers are.

Also, you may or may not target placements. If you aren't targeting placements, you can still see where your video ads were shown. Navigate to see where your video ads have been shown (reference the screenshot I posted below) and optimize those as well. You may have been showing on certain sites that aren't a good fit, or on certain site categories. Consider excluding apps and video games as a placement category all together. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 13.25.51.png

If you have a different goal in mind, consider the view rate as an indicator of the account health, but ALSO consider your goal and see if you have enough data to make a decision based on how targeting is working out for you per that goal. We're getting into the weeds here Smiley Happy

Hope this helps

Julia

Julia Muller,