6.4K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

InStream managed placement campaign not receiving any impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an InStream video campaign with managed placements (Youtube videos/channels) selected within video targeting. I have selected about 73 videos/channels. I received 25 impressions within a single day and have since gotten zero impressions over the last 3 days. I have not other video targeting options selected within this campaign. 

The campaign does not include Video partners, just Youtube Search and Videos.

My budget is $1/day and max CPV was 0.08 but since not receiving any impressions I have increased it to $0.15 but still receiving zero impressions.

What could the issue be?

Any suggestions?

Re: InStream managed placement campaign not receiving any impressions

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
@Filip C

Instream doesn't apply to YouTube search, only the videos themselves. There are a lot of reasons why this could be happening. What kind of videos/channels are you targeting. Are you certain they get a lot of views? Are you sure you don't have any location parameters in place? A global audience is your intention?

How long is the video you are advertising? This can affect your potential reach since it's TrueView.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm managing the campaign for a travel startup and we are trying to target users who are planning a trip to Paris. Therefore, we are targeting channels and videos about traveling that are specific to Paris as tourist destinations. We manually searched and found videos from popular travel channels that are Paris specific and selected those as placements. Since these are videos from popular channels with many subscribers (they range between 20-150 thousand subscribers) I am assuming they receive an appropriate amount of daily views. What is the best way of determining whether a video is receiving enough views to be an effective ad placement?

We do have locations parameters in place and are currently targeting audiences in Canada, US, UK, New Zealand, and Australia.

The Video is one minute and eighteen seconds long and has been professionally done. Our other video campaigns that use the same ad usually achieve view rates at around 30%.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Fill

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Great! I think YouTube is perfect for this.

Number of subscribers is certainly a good indicator of how popular a channel is, but it doesn't necessarily relate to how many views all their videos get on a daily basis. People subscribe because they want to be notified of new content. If you're targeting a video that was published three years ago, it's most likely that the majority of the subscribers have already seen it. You might want to keep track of the view count on some of these videos you've targeted to see how it increases from day to day. The length of the video is definitely a factor in limiting your reach. I've found that 15 second spots get at least 10 times the reach for the same bid as a 30 second spot. Even in cases where the 30 second spot had a better view rate. Yes, the shorter videos technically have a better chance to convert, but I really think there is a user experience factor at play here. I don't think they want too many "long ads" played to the same user during a viewing session. That's just a guess of course, I would consider trying to cut a 15 second version if possible, and test it yourself.

I should point out that among all the targeting options available, manual placements only is going to be pretty slow. I really think you should consider doing contextual keyword targeting, and sponsor the same keywords in YouTube search. Very focused queries related to traveling to Paris. You can also try searching YouTube for those related queries, and see if you can't sponsor the videos that come up first. YouTube search drives views. There are few more things to consider with Search compared to InStream.  With search you need an eye-catching thumbnail, and smart ad copy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

Thanks for the advice, its very much appreciated.

In terms of contextual keyword targeting, would you suggest creating an InStream campaign, selecting just the Youtube Search network, and start testing a list of keywords related to traveling and Paris?

If I understand correctly, in that case, if a user were to make a search query related to traveling and Paris, our videos could be displayed as an InStream ad for any of the videos watched from the search results? Is that the idea? Or rather, would our video ad show up as a sponsored search result? Wouldn't that be an In-Display campaign in that case? Or are both scenarios possible?

Thanks,
Fill

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
With InStream the only keyword targeting is contextual. This means your ad will be played before a video that relates to the keyword. It doesn't necessarily all come from search traffic. Someone could embed a video titled "Great Places to Visit While in Paris" on their Facebook feed, and your ad could serve there when one of their friends plays it in their feed.

If you choose to add In-Display, your ad shows in the sidebar of a related video's watch page. YouTube Search appears on the YouTube search results page only. That's the difference between those two. Both of these are where you need to write smart ad copy and make sure you select an eye-catching thumbnail. I'd recommend starting out with YouTube only, and expand to Video Partners once you get a good feel for it. I'd recommend separating the ad types, at least InStream from the other two. You really can't look at their stats the same way. InStream ads are essentially interrupting the video the user wants to watch. With In-Display and YouTube search, the user is choosing to watch your ad.

***For budget purposes it's important to understand that YouTube Search and In-Display are billed as soon as the user clicks. InStream is not billed until the ad is completed or 30 seconds has passed, whichever comes first.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks David,

One last question. I don't see any ad format that is exclusively Youtube Search. When creating a new campaign you have the option of selecting the following networks: Youtube Search/Video/and video partners. Then for ad formats you only have two options which you are required to choose from: In-display and in-stream.

So how do I go about creating a campaign that is exclusively Youtube Search?

Thanks

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Video for Adwords had a pretty major overhaul in September. There have definitely been some changes made to the setup process. I see what you are talking about. From my understanding up until this point, YouTube search and InStream simply didn't go together. It appears you can now select a YouTube Search only campaign, and then create an InStream ad. I'm supposed to be video certified and that makes no sense to me. If someone else here doesn't clarify by tomorrow morning, I will call support and find out.

In-Display ads and YouTube search ads are built and displayed the same way, they just show up in different places. You should find that bids for YouTube search need to be more competitive than a proper In-Display ad because search is more targeted.

In the meantime, creating a YouTube Search only campaign with the In-Display ad format should get you what you are looking for.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Filip C
January 2016

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Okay, I just got of the phone with Adwords support. I was correct in saying that YouTube search and In-Stream don't go together. If you select YouTube Search only and then only create In-Stream ads, nothing will happen. I think this new version of setup was designed to make it easy to create multiple ad types all in one campaign. I would personally still want to isolate the three. I would create three different campaigns the following way:

1) YouTube Videos Only, In-Stream ad only (preferably with a 15 second version)
2) YouTube Videos Only, In-Display ad only (the long one is fine for this)
3) YouTube Search Only, In-Display ad only (the long one is fine here too.)