Guide Me
star_border

In-stream link to URL question

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I'd appreciate if someone could please clarify this for me.  I noticed that there were other similar threads that are yet to be answered. There seems to be a few different kinds of in-stream(pre-roll) video ads.  

Version 1 is the one with a companion banner and the user is taken to the advertiser's URL after clicking on the companion banner.  

Version 2 is the 'learn more' that appears on the bottom of the video ad.  

Version 3 is a clickable video which takes you to the advertisers destination URL.  User can click anywhere on the video, video stops, and the user is taken to the advertiser's URL.

I've tried setting up an in-stream campaign but am only able to choose the version 1.

Does anyone know how to set up a version 3 video ad?

Thanks,

Antonio

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: In-stream link to URL question

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Antonio,

Version 3 is the normal True View InStream ad which would land on the destination URL when the ad(video) is clicked. Have you used the website URL or YouTube URL in the destination URL field?

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Sumanth,

Thank you for your prompt response. I've used the website URL when setting it up. I went on one of the Youtube videos that I placed my ad on and I could see my in-stream ad, however it came with a companion banner.

When I clicked on the video the video stopped and I wasn't taken to my URL. Only after clicking on the companion banner I was taken to my URL. 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
This looks like a transient issue or a one off case, as you weren't redirected to any page. Companion Banner is an additional feature which takes a user to the landing page, but fundamentally when a user clicks on the InStream ad, he would be taken to the landing page specified.

Could you check once again (in an incognito window if possible) and update here if it worked?

Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I spent the last few hours trying to pull up my ad but it isn't showing. I even tried increasing the bid. But I don't think that this is a glitch because I just watched about 100 different ads and some of them are like mine. If you click the video, the video stops and nothing happens. You have to click on the companion banner('visit advertiser's site') to land at their URL. And then there are some videos on which you click and you are immediately taken to the advertiser's website.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Actually, I just noticed this on YouTube and you're right. I'd like to test a few things around this. I will get back to you shortly.
Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you Sumanth!

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Antonio,

I've spent quite some time trying to figure this out. While some InStream ads on YouTube are directing to the landing page, some of them are paused when they're clicked. I'm not aware of an option or a setting in video campaigns that defines whether or not an InStream ad should lead users to the landing page. However, I guess there could be a setting for annotations or call to action overlay in YouTube which could possibly cause this.

I hope to get more clarity around this over the long weekend. I'll update this thread shortly. In the meantime, I'd suggest contacting Google to see if there's anything wrong. For the benefit of other community members, I'd request you to update this thread if you've got a solution in the meantime.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Antonio G
September 2015

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hi Antonio,

I called Google to ask about this and I was told there was a technical issue, which is fixed now. You should now be able to see your ads leading to the landing page as intended. I've tried it myself and found the usual behavior.

Feel free to write back with questions.

Cheers,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar