Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

How to shut off Demographic Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I am trying to target manage placements exclusively. So I paused all the targeting except the managed placements. The demogarphics age gender keep getting views and I am being charged for.

When I pause the ages or gender They just seem to disappear rather than as in other display campaigns the two vertical lines appearing.

So I tried excluding them and I get a message that you can not exclude enabled demographics even though

I have disabled them

Also the number is still there age (3)  gender (2)  how do I shut them off so there is no number pausing them does not work and ican not seem to exclude them

What am I missing?

THankyou 

Barry

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to shut off Demographic Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Barry, I'm not sure I've completely understood your situation, but if you've set your Managed Placement targeting to "Target & bid" then your Ads will only be being shown on those placements, regardless of any other targeting (age, gender, etc.).

I can't be certain, but are you sure you're not simply seeing AdWords data on the demographics, rather than actual targets outside of your placements?  AdWords will always report upon demographics, even if you've not specifically targeted them.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have only managed placements enabled there are no views or impressions
all the demographics are paused but yet I am still getting views from the
demographics and being charged

How do I shut off the demographics is this not possible? I want to pay for
views on the managed placements only. Is this not possible?

How about the targeting and start a new targeting group are the
demographics enabled as default can shut them off?

Thankyou

Barry

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Barry, all I can do is refer you to my previous answer.

If you have your managed placements set to "Target and Bid" then all of your ad impressions will ONLY occur on these placements.  Your Ads will NOT show based purely upon Demographics.

I strongly suspect you're confusing the data shown for Demographics with actual targeting.  As I said previously, even if you're not using Age or Gender as a target, AdWords will still report the demographic split of the visitors.  You are not being "charged" for the demographics, AdWords is merely showing you how the visitors to your managed placements broke down in terms of age and gender.

Can you upload a screenshot to show the screen you're looking at where you see demographics being targeted?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,
With all due respect I am wondering if it is possible to set to "target and bid" on a video campaign?

I have been looking and not luck so far.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Barry, sorry, I didn't realise you were talking about a video Campaign (which I should have done, given where the topic was posted), I thought you were running an ordinary Display Campaign.

OK, when you look at the Settings for the Campaign, then edit your Targeting Group, under "Targeting" there's an entry for "Demographics".  What does this show there?

Although I didn't realise you were running a video Campaign, my earlier comments are still valid.  If you've added Placements in a targeting group, the Ads will only run on those placements and the Demographic settings are just there to provide additional refinement.

Again, can you upload a screen shot of the settings screen you're seeing so we can be sure we're talking about the right things?

Jon

How to shut off Demographic Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

I know this thread is a couple of years old, but I've run into the exact same problem it seems. 

I set up a campaign with the intent of targeting a few sites (my service is very niche, and not at all appropriate for the larger market).   After setting a $10/daily cap, I came back the next day to discover

1. I'd spent $88

2. I'd received some 22,000 views. (http://pasteboard.co/s7lGF849S.png)  I've since muted the demographics in an attempt to stop _that_ from being the criteria.

3. 0 of them were on my targeted placements. (http://pasteboard.co/s7nl2NDyn.png)

Which seems to suggest that the demographics weren't actually a refinement? Or am I misunderstanding something.

Thanks for any and all help,

Phil