AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

How to exclude YouTube as placement for video ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I have a in-stream in display campaign and want to exclude YouTube as placement. I think I did this a few months ago by just adding YouTube.com in the placement exclusions. But nowadays it is not possible anymore. At least by just adding www.youtube.com. It gives me the notification that "Some placements were ignored due to an incorrect URL format"... Any hints?

Or do you know any other option how to advertise with a video on the GDN only? The Google support first told me I can create a display campaign and upload a video by using the ad gallery. But here I have the problem that the in display version gives me always the notification that there's an error although it doesn't show me any marked field. I tried all kind of video lengths (10 sec - 3.45 mins) and all kinds of descriptions. It just doesn't work...

I'd be very thankful to get your useful support.

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: How to exclude YouTube as placement for video ads?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Oliver, how are things?

Excluding URLs with "www" on it is known as "First-level subdomain". If you want to exclude the whole youtube domain, try to remove the "www" and add just "yoputube.com".

If that doesn't work, you can check your placements report on Adwords and see how the URL for youtube appears, or even trying to download on Adwords Editor where at leats on the older versions, you would get the ID for the placements, making it easier to exclude (having checked that on Editor 11 yet).

Check this page for more information that might help:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454012?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your fast reply and helpful suggestions. I tried to exclude YouTube.com as well, with the same negative result though. I'll check for your other suggestions and will let you know about the outcome. Cheers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you again for your suggestions. I was unfortunately not able to exclude YouTube via the AdWords Editor. But I'm not experienced with the Editor, so maybe that's the reason.
My guess: Obviously Google doesn't allow to exclude YouTube from Video Campaigns.

Other option: Create a Display Campaign, use the Ad Gallery to create a VIDEO ad or LIGHTBOX ad here; both support video. I successfully created 2 ads, one Lightbox and one Video In-Stream.

Though for the Video In-Display, I still have the error notification as mentioned in my first post (error notification, but no field marked as incorrect). If someone knows what there is going on, I would be happy to learn about it.

P.S. The same error was yesterday shown for the Lightbox ad, but today it's working... Strange world... Smiley Wink

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Funny as I'm having the same issues - I want to do a video advert but exclude YouTube, so maybe I have to use the Display Campaign instead. Thanks for posting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If you want to use the in display ad and you are successful, please post how you did it; maybe with some details like video length...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Looks like it may be working, the ad has gone for approval anyway.
I went to create a new Display campaign, then ignored the Create ad options (Skipped) and then later as you said went to Create a Lightbox ad and from this menu there was an option for a Video advert. I selected In-stream and then chose a video from YouTube that was already live.

I'll let you know if it gets approved or not.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Have you found a way to to exclude YouTube as placement?
It used to work, but recently they do not let you add youtube.com as a placement exclusion.

I would like to target in-stream videos to GDN sites like sfglobe.com, www.cnet.com
I do not like the ads to be shown on YouTube.

Recently some of my ads are showing on YouTube.

In the past, I could exclude www.youtube.com and youtube.com but now when I am trying to do that, I get this error:
"Some placements were ignored due to an invalid or nonexistent URL."

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Exactly what I was facing. You can actually use videos in Display campaigns. You can even choose in-stream format. For in-display I had problems getting even a proper number of impressions. I'd be interested if it works better with in-stream ads... Oliver