Guide Me
star_border

How do clicks effect "Played To" Quartiles

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey All,

I'm wondering how a click will effect a video's played to quartile.

When users click on an associated website link within a trueview ad, they are redirected in a new window to that landing page. Meanwhile the youtube trueview video remains paused on the previous tab. Which brings me to a few questions:

How does this effect the played to quartiles? 

If the user never returns to the trueview ad, at what point does their session "time out"?

Adwords linking enables pop-over call to actions that display throughout the entire video, so do early clicks on that call to action negatively impact quartiles and skew data? 

Thanks,

Re: How do clicks effect "Played To" Quartiles

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Connor,

Welcome to the AdWords Community. Thanks for posting your first, and a great question. This is how clicks and quartile views work: 

In your AdWords account, navigate to the Dimensions tab and select the "Free Clicks" view to see how many users watched 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% of the video.  The number of Free Clicks reflects the number of times a user watched up to a particular point in the video. Therefore, a user who watched 100% of the video will also be represented as having watched 25%, 50%, and 75%, as well. In other words, they are not mutually exclusive. The rate column as it is not relevant in this case, so feel free to ignore it.

In AdWords for video, you can see quartile data directly in the main UI, you just need to go to select the appropriate columns from the drop down.  The Quartile % is based off the number of impressions the ad receives.

Does that clarify the reporting to some extent? If you have further questions, I'm happy to discuss. 

Best, 
Mini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Mini, thanks for the reply but I feel as though my question remains unanswered. I want to know what happens to the quartiles if a user clicks on a Call to action. Let's say we serve a 30sec pre roll video, and the user clicks the call to action at 15 seconds...will the system then say that user watched only to 50% ?

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Yes Conner, the system will register this as 50% watched.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

view and click will remain seperate, but in your analysis you have to give a priority to users clicking or view length, both cant be equally important.

also about campaign performance, google will consider your effective CPM for winning bid
If user has seen video for 30 sec it is counted as view, but priority is given to user action, so if user clicks on video it will also be considered as view and charged. so this shouldnt negatively affect your campaign performance. 

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Great insight Mihir. Thank you.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
thank you