AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Exclude music videos in TrueView campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I am running a Trueview in-stream campaign using a combination of Interest and Topic targeting. When reviewing the "Where ads were shown" tab under placements, the vast majority are on music videos. I understand that Interest targeting can allow this, as the targeted individuals may be choosing to watch music videos. However, I would like to exclude these because they eat up too much of the budget. I'm also concerned that these are often played in the background while the user is operating in another tab, thus decreasing potential for engagement. 

I have added the Topic "Arts & Entertainment > Music & Audio > Music Videos" to my campaign exclusions, but the music video placements persist. Can anyone recommend another tactic? 

It's worth noting that all YouTube videos have a category tag; is there a way to add this content provider-selected category to my exclusions? 

Thank you. 

Re: Exclude music videos in TrueView campaign?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Anthony M

Unfortunately negative targeting in YouTube does not work very well.  I made this video about 1.5 years ago expressing my concerns on the subject, and show specific examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKmS3oKcs5k

About 6 months later or so, there was an official "ask a Googler" type event.  I specifically asked about this, and shared the video.  They acknowledged that YouTube negative targeting did not work as well as they would like, and that they were working on improving it.

I have found the most success in generating quality placements by avoiding Interest lists all together, and sticking with Topics.   Topics apply specifically to the video content, whereas Interests apply to browsing behavior/history. 

Re: Exclude music videos in TrueView campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks, David. I'll have to push for more definitive placements prior to activating the campaign in order to cut down on wasteful spending. Appreciate the video link.