2.3K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Exclude Childrens targeted YouTube Channels

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There seems to be a VERY large amount of views from children's video channels on our campaigns. We run have tech related videos. Is there a way to exclude all videos that are clearly targeted at 10 year old and younger? For more context, our target is interest in Enterprise Software.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Office Mechanics
March

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Unfortunately not.  The reality is that negative targeting does not really work for YouTube.  I made a video detailing this just over 2 years ago. You can see that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKmS3oKcs5k

I also asked a product manager about it on one of those official "Ask a Googler" sessions. They admitted that it did not work as well as it should, and it was something they were working on improving.  To date, I can't tell any difference, and it's something that I test from time to time.

Your best plan of action is to change how you are targeting. I've found that demographics and interest lists are going to produce a lot of kids videos.  You have to understand that these lists are valid, it's just that these kids are watching these videos on their parent's account. I have seen multiple examples of this first hand. My sister's kids, friends with kids, etc.  It's their browsing activity, but then they set up the laptop/tablet for the kids to watch.  Sometimes the parents are watching with them, but a lot of times not.

I think you should consider doing contextual and topic targeting only. This means your ads only serve on videos related to the content you are targeting. You have to figure out what people interested in "Enterprise Software" might want to watch on YouTube. Enterprise software is pretty broad.  What does your software do exactly?  Who is it for?  Answering these questions might help you figure out which topics to target.   

The topics don't necessarily have to relate to your product.  For example, for a lawn service company, I've found that golf topic videos work well.  This was based on the assumption that most people who play golf are into taking care of their yards and having them look nice.

I would try to hypothesize as much as you can on what your desired audience might be watching, and then build out ad groups for each theory and test it to see what happens.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Valid. Thanks for taking the time to formulate this. Unfortunately this is what I thought it would be. Smiley Sad 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is something i try to do as well. Never had a good answer from Google team either...

The thing is : 

- these videos make your "Average view rate" higher

- mosts videos aren't categorized properly (I've seen cartoons listed as "people & blog", "movies"...).

As far as I'm concerned I've kept the interests targeting but I excluded several child related topics. Not perfect but a lot better than usual.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Could you please list some of the child related topics, I think it would benefit my campaigns as well. Thanks!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Not sure if you're following this thread anymore...

I'm excluding Family-Focused affinity audiences at the campaign level. Hopefully that helps. Also trying keyword exclusions at campaign level.

kid

nursery

rhyme

ABC

baby

We have an identical problem with our ads serving for obvious kid videos. I wish I could exclude channels or a narrow category.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it was solved.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.