5.4K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Earned Views greater than Views

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Could someone help me understand what these metrics are telling me? 

I have a few discovery ads running and so far, it appears that my ad groups are generating more earned views than regular views. Here's a sample of what I'm seeing:

Ad group #1: 274 impressions, 14 views, 48 earned views

Ad group #2: 413 impressions, 20 views, 34 earned views

Ad group #3: 543 impressions, 18 views, 31 earned views

Am I correct to understand that, for Ad Group #1, the video I'm advertising got 14 views, and those people went on to watch 48 more videos? For every 1 view I got from advertising, I got 3.4 free views?

(My goal is to optimize my ads to increase viewership, and I've decided the % of earned views is the way to go.)

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Michelle T

The 'Views' column shows the number of times your video ads were viewed

The ' Earned view' occurs when someone who views your video ad and then watches another video or videos from your youtube channel within 7 days of the ad view. These additional views are earned views and your are not charged for them. Also, multiple views from the same person will each be counted as a single earned view.

You can read more about, how to measure video performance from below link

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375431?hl=en

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taranjeet, thank you. Could you help me understand specifically: Does that mean 14 people viewed my advertised videos and then went out to watch 48 more videos? 

*I use 'people' loosely as I know it's not unique

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michelle T
November 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Michelle T

Yes that means 14 users who were exposed to your ad went to your channel and watched other 48 videos within 7 days of their past interaction to ad.

Similarly you can also see Earned subscribers, Earned Likes & Earned shared in the report

Regards