AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Difference btween call to action overlays and annotations?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been reading up on this but am still confused - what's difference between call to action overlays and annotations? Pros and cons? Please share

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Difference btween call to action overlays and annotations?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lindsey,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

Annotations can be used on any YouTube video to boost engagement, to give more information, and to aid in navigation for a video, channel etc. They are clickable text overlays which can be set to appear anywhere on the video area. Most importantly, they can be used even when you are not promoting your videos using an ad.

CTA Overlays are available with ads. If you are promoting your videos using AdWords, you can add CTA to drive traffic to your website/destination URL. They have a fixed position in the video and they appear to be more sophisticated (an expandable button) in comparison to annotations.

More can be found at the sources below –

https://www.youtube.com/yt/playbook/annotations.html

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/150471?hl=en

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

One observation here,

CTA overlay is not available for all forms of AdWords Video Ads.

CTA overlays are available only for the "TrueView In-Display Video Ads" , while for "TrueView In-Stream Video Ads" CTA is not active over the video.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lindsey L
October 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
for most channels your annoations will not be allowed to use an external link.
though certain brand channels and partner channels will have annotation with external link.

annotation can have various size/shape/color, etc. CTA overlay is simple text format.

you can define what time of video do you want annotation and when do you want to stop showing annotation.

Difference btween call to action overlays and annotations?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ratan - So very nice to meet you! Have clients doing YouTube Bumper Ads, and there is confusion as to whether the CTA overlay card shows when their :06 video / bumper ad is viewed / triggered as an ad. 

Some documentation seems to indicate that CTA overlays ARE displayed, however I don't think I've ever seen one when being served an ad myself on YouTube.

Can you help clarify?

Thanks so much!! 

KD