Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Confused about "where can TrueView In-Display Ads be seen"

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I thought I knew where TrueView In-Display video ads can show up , but I don't .

The documentation is very confusing about this issue.

First to clarify a "TrueView In-Display video ad" is a static banner with the property that on a click it sends the user to a youtube video watch page or a youtube channel.

So the problem is "where can this static image banner be shown".

1) In this link

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375464?hl=en

First it says the "TrueView In-Display Ad" can be seen in 3 places :

"Use this format to promote a video next to YouTube videos, as part of a YouTube search result or within other website content across the Google Display Network."

Then on the 3rd column it says the "TrueView In-Display Ad" can be seen in only 2 places , ruling out the possibility of the Ad to show up on the youtube search results page :

"Where will the ads appear? : TrueView in-display video ads can appear only on YouTube Watch pages and on the Watch pages of video publishers on the Google Display Network. "

trueview-in-display.JPG

Then here , it says the TrueView In-Display Ad can appear in 2 more places , than the previous information :

1) Youtube Search Pages

2) Youtube Watch pages

3) GDN

4) Youtube home pages for desktop

5) Youtube mobile apps.

https://support.google.com/displayspecs/answer/6227733?hl=en

In-display ads can run across YouTube and Google Display Network. On YouTube they can run on the search and watch pages for both desktop and m.youtube.com, as well as the home pages for desktop and YouTube mobile apps.

So where exactly can the "TrueView In-Display banner ad" appear ?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Confused about "where can TrueView In-Display Ads be seen&quo

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Adrian,

I think that the second article you've posted gives you a clear example on where ads can appear. It can't be clearer then this. This one:
https://support.google.com/displayspecs/answer/6227733?hl=en&ref_topic=4588474

Basically, it can appear some places inside youtube itself, as well as for any website from Google Display Network that allow video format.

On YouTube, it's most frequently seen when you're watching a video. The ad will appear on the right, as the image from article show you on "video watch page". For you to run ads just inside youtube, you need to place YouTube domain as a Managed Placement. Here's how:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471182

Hops this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

My understanding of the documentation for "in display" is that the table and  second link you provided are more detailed explanations of the first link; so basically the list at the end of your post is the comprehensive one.

Rereading your post I do agree though that the help center editorial team should review the content and "rephrase"  some of the content.

I will submit your comments to Google asking that the editorial team to review the content of these pages.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, then let's dig a little deeper because I don't understand from the second link the following :

true-view-in-display-placements.JPG

1) Can "TrueView In-Display Ads" really appear on the Youtube home page for desktops ?

Because I have been reading that only Mastheads formats are allowed on the youtube home page, and these formats are not available to be created trought AdWords like the "TrueView In Display". These formats are available for reservation buy through a Google representative.

It would be great to know that a relatively cheap "TrueView In Display Ad" can run on the youtube home page too.

2) What does it mean "Youtube Mobile Apps" as a placement for "TrueView In-Display Ads" ?

The plural is used because there are 2 applications for youtube, one for iOS and one for Android OS ?

Or the plural is referring to some other mobile apps capable of running youtube videos ?

I am asking all these details because the video exam highlights them , asking for specifics about where each format of Ads can run , and it is difficult to prepare without a clear documentation.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Confused about "where can TrueView In-Display Ads be seen&

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Adrian,

1) Yes, TrueView in-display ads CAN appear on YouTube Home Page, but only when there's no masthead running. As you stated, masthead is a reservation format negotiated directly with Google. So if there's no one advertising on masthead, in-display will appear

2) The plural is related to several things, such as IOS and Android, as well for youtube app itself, and other apps that may use youtube api (like Youtube for smart tvs)

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Now it is all clear, thank you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

why I can not select / check video discovery ad but only stream ad ?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it is from 2015.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation. It's always best to start your own thread versus making comments to random threads, even if your issue seems related.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic. Making your new thread is fast, easy and allows more specific help directly to you (and not all of the other members in the old thread).

Thank you.