AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Can you use the name of a company you DO NOT OWN in your YouTube "AD" to PROMOTE that company?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For example. "Looking for a video with the newest Nike shoes, I have a website full of them. Click here."

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
October 2016

Re: Can you use the name of a company you DO NOT OWN in your YouTube "AD" to PROMOTE that

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Chris M,

Nike is a trademark of a product, not a company like XYZ Cleaning. If it were simply a business you did not own, yes, you could advertise it. However, Nike is a trademark of a product.  

This is what YouTube says...

A trademark is a word, symbol, or combination that identifies the source of a product and distinguishes it from other products. A trademark is specifically acquired by a company or other entity through a legal process and once acquired gives the owner exclusive rights to the trademark usage with respect to those goods.

Trademark infringement is improper or unauthorized use of a trademark in a way that is likely to cause confusion as to the source of that product. YouTube policies prohibit videos and channels that infringe trademarks. If you upload content on YouTube that uses another party's trademarks in a way that is likely to cause confusion, your videos can be blocked and your channel suspended.

Technically, I  think with the way you are using it... it would be okay and I see this used by others quite often. I guess it depends on your channel, videos, your use of it... and if it gets flagged for review and found to be in violation or not. 

Hope this helps,

James

Can you use the name of a company you DO NOT OWN in your YouTube "AD" to PROMOTE that company?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You're allowed to use it if you carry the product from my understanding, but you won't be able to use a competitor's name in your ad.