AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Can I target the people who upload cover songs? Not the people who watch the cover songs

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am CMO for a company that offers musicians access to professionally written songs. I want to get our company in front of the people who upload their cover versions or performances of original songs. NOT their audience who may be there for the songs or performances....

Can I target the people who upload cover songs? Not the people who watch the cover songs

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

nope, I can't think of any setting you might want to use. Try to find the content they've might like and use these videos & channels (let's say videos like "how to make a cover" to be bold)

but you can try to create a custom affinity based on URLs and keywords which would describe this sort of people 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How would that custom affinity work?

I ask because your first solution seems so specific and, frankly, so limited. I mean, I'm targeting established musicians, I don't want beginners who are learning to play guitar, or learning how to read sheet music.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You can find a good guide here 

Please make sure your Custom Affinity isn't broad, having sites like spotify or tidal in your CA will target people interested in songs (probably) 
You have to work on several affinities and test these out in different campaigns to avoid budget cannibalization 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Wait.

Can I write a computer script to go through and find everyone who uploaded a video with the word "cover" in the title, and views above X? Then can I market to that list? Manually upload it?

The Custom Affinity is basically taking my ad buy and using to make another ad buy.

Can anyone tell me why I can't target people based on what they upload? Isn't that the most intuitive targeting metric? It can't be privacy, because the uploader is making the content available to the public.

This is a little frustrating.

Re: Can I target the people who upload cover songs? Not the people who watch the cover songs

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Well, it is "intuitive" for you. But in fact there is no sense for Google to waste their calculating power for such a little segment of people that you want to target. 
There isn't anything like this not only by Google but by other traffic acquisition platforms. 

I am not really into AdWords scripts but I am sure you can't use this sort of data because the Youtube's API won't share it with anyone, and yes, that's their privacy policy and nothing more

You could target these people using emails but I assume you don't have a list of musicians working specifically now on covers, do you ? 

p.s. how do you want the system to recognize a "big music market player" who's just uploaded the cover song? just tell how it would presumably work?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't see how it's a little segment? People who post video game videos are interested in Video Games. People who post videos about the NY Mets are probably interested in Baseball/Sports and the Mets.

My point is that it's just an extension (and just as accurate one) as the people who watch a video. Although, now that I type, fewer people obviously upload than watch. But it's still an indicator of interest and affinity. That should be targetable. 

Well, it makes sense to me.

Two things. They don't ONLY have to record covers, they can be simply musicians. But those who record covers are probably not the most prolific songwriters. To the final point, I can go after the big music players too! That would be the cost of doing business, and, despite their size, they are still an audience for me. They cover songs, thus they perform songs, I sell songs to be performed.