AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Can I advertise a music video that is on Youtube,on YouTube itself?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Got a album on YouTube and one of the songs "I wanna be a Policeman" is the highest ranking song. Would like to advertise the video by playing the song or parts of it as an ad.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John E
August 2016

Re: Can I advertise a music video that is on Youtube,on YouTube itself?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Unintended Consequences of promoting Music Video:

I ran dozens of video campaigns and I would like to suggest that you minimize your Music Video ad CPM until you get a really good handle on your audience targeting. Start with a small $3-$5/day budget for a few days then increase as needed.

The reason why I say this is because you can potentially "back fire" with ads from users downvoting and complaining in the comments section.

Some Tips for Music Video RM:
A. Keep an eye on daily impression cap per user
B. Test 2 or 3 formats of your Music Video ad at a time for example: a 15 Second Music Video Spot, 30 Second Music Video Spot, 2+ Minute Video Spot
C. You might get better performance with shorter ads
D. Create separate Mobile and Desktop/Tablet campaigns, usually desktop users are more tolerant of Video ads, while mobile users are more likely to "Skip" or "Accidentally Click"
E. Create a "Successful Placements" campaign and put your top converting placements in that campaign, then EXCLUDE those placements from your general campaign
F. Create a "Okay Placements" campaign and put your so-and-so converting placements in that campaign, then EXCLUDE those placements fro your general campaign - keep an eye on this
G. Disable "In-App" video ads (except for YouTube App) at your discretion, usually mobile users hate ads in mobile Apps.
H. Create a "Negative Placements" list and apply it to all Video Campaigns. When you find placements that are really bad (such as 0 converting, spam type placements) move them into the Negative Placements.
I. Fresh Content usually does better, try using 30 or 45 video campaign cycles - promoting NEWER videos usually perform better than promoting OLD videos

AVOID BACKFIRING YOUR CHANNEL
Minimize backfire (unless you intend it to):
a. Promote non-political content - videos that utters the word of political candidate or political hot topic may have nasty comments, some more than others (See: ghostbusters trailer)
b. Unchecked impression cap - usually people who see your ad more than 5 times a day for 2 weeks in a row, will not be pleased (See: Music videos with more downvotes than upvotes)

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi John E,

You can run a campaign for that video song. Then you can link google adwords to youtube channel and using remarketing list for another campaign for another video.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John E
August 2016

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Unintended Consequences of promoting Music Video:

I ran dozens of video campaigns and I would like to suggest that you minimize your Music Video ad CPM until you get a really good handle on your audience targeting. Start with a small $3-$5/day budget for a few days then increase as needed.

The reason why I say this is because you can potentially "back fire" with ads from users downvoting and complaining in the comments section.

Some Tips for Music Video RM:
A. Keep an eye on daily impression cap per user
B. Test 2 or 3 formats of your Music Video ad at a time for example: a 15 Second Music Video Spot, 30 Second Music Video Spot, 2+ Minute Video Spot
C. You might get better performance with shorter ads
D. Create separate Mobile and Desktop/Tablet campaigns, usually desktop users are more tolerant of Video ads, while mobile users are more likely to "Skip" or "Accidentally Click"
E. Create a "Successful Placements" campaign and put your top converting placements in that campaign, then EXCLUDE those placements from your general campaign
F. Create a "Okay Placements" campaign and put your so-and-so converting placements in that campaign, then EXCLUDE those placements fro your general campaign - keep an eye on this
G. Disable "In-App" video ads (except for YouTube App) at your discretion, usually mobile users hate ads in mobile Apps.
H. Create a "Negative Placements" list and apply it to all Video Campaigns. When you find placements that are really bad (such as 0 converting, spam type placements) move them into the Negative Placements.
I. Fresh Content usually does better, try using 30 or 45 video campaign cycles - promoting NEWER videos usually perform better than promoting OLD videos

AVOID BACKFIRING YOUR CHANNEL
Minimize backfire (unless you intend it to):
a. Promote non-political content - videos that utters the word of political candidate or political hot topic may have nasty comments, some more than others (See: ghostbusters trailer)
b. Unchecked impression cap - usually people who see your ad more than 5 times a day for 2 weeks in a row, will not be pleased (See: Music videos with more downvotes than upvotes)

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Anna and Michae both gave good answers. To piggyback on their answers, here are some handy links:

You will need an AdWords account in order to advertise your video on YouTube.

Link your YouTube channel to your AdWords account: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3063482?hl=en

Create a video campaign: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2375497?hl=en&ref_topic=2973023

Best wishes with your campaign!

John