AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Can I Block YouTube from Showing Me My Own Ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I was thrown into this client's AdWords account and I'm trying to sort myself through it. His current issue is that he's seeing his own ads appear as banner ads on YouTube, and he believes it's wasting him money.

He only has "Search Network Only" and "Remarketing" ads running on AdWords right now, I didn't even know he HAD ads on YouTube going, so I don't know where to start. Can anyone help guide me on where to block IP Addresses for your own ads specifically on YouTube?

Also -- I've blocked the IP Address within AdWords, for each campaign running. If that's the solution, it's not working. 

Apologies on my possible naiveté, but I am confuuuuuuused.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I Block YouTube from Showing Me My Own Ads?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Well I was going to say you can use placement exclusions in the display network but then you said its set to search network only. You're sure the Display Network isn't available? If so then I'm not sure. If the display network is available on that campaign then here is an article on placement exclusions that may help: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454012?hl=en-GB

Hope this helps

- Stephen

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Heather.

From what I understand the remarketing campaign seems to be doing its job. Your client visited her own website, picked up the remarketing cookie and is now seeing her own remarketing ads.

Are you sure that when she sees the ads she's accessing the internet from an IP you blocked? Don't IPs change from time to time?

What I would do, in this situation, is the following:
- I would take a website URL and access it with a parameter nobody would encounter when visiting the website
- I'd create a negative remarketing list with browsers that have visited this page
- I would set that quirky URL as the start page for all my browsers and all my devices so I'm sure I'm added to the remarketing list every time I open a browser

The URL could be something like example.com/somepage.html?exclude=1 for instance. Just make sure that the URL does not return an error and that the remarketing tag fires.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
As long as you are NOT using CPM bidding, these impressions don't cost any money unless you actually click on the ad. So you can easily put that concern out of the clients mind.

If yo are only targeting search networks, then take a look at the network with search partners segment. YouTube might actually be considered a "partner" site, and if the search partners network isn't working for you, then you can always opt out.
Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

Thanks for your help. However, I had a few things wrong. My client actually did have this set up as display network (remarketing), YouTube is listed as a Placement, and it's on the recommended setting of "CPM", so I was incorrect there.

I can definitely try the url solution since the IP address isn't working. Thank you again!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Happy to help. Please let us know how it pans out.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.