AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Can Analytics track separate Goals for AdWords for video Campaigns ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

If I have 5 or 6 Video Campaigns , the metric "multi-per-view" conversions just gives me a total without the segmentation "conversion action name" , as I see it in the interface.

I wonder if I track these conversions through Goals in analytics, will I be able to view separate conversion Goals attributed to separate video campaigns to achieve this yet unavailable segmentation for "conversion action name" ? Has anyone attempted this tracking ?

Re: Can Analytics track separate Goals for AdWords for video Campaigns

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Adrian,

Are you able to see your TrueView ad traffic in Analytics?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I asked this question only because I arrived at a dead end in this thread :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Tracking-different-conversion-points-back-to...

I did not start the video campaign, I have just setup a test one to see the options in order to help that person, and there was no segmentation for "conversion action name" .

I only arrived at the conclusion that in AdWords "many-per-click" is the same as "many-per-view" , and that he can measure separate conversion counts only if he has only one video campaign and substracts the many-per-click numbers from the normal campaigns from the total of conversions found under "tools and analytics".

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Also this is the closest work-around I could find , and it says that true-view clicks are not recorded :

http://www.markcijo.com/how-to-track-true-view-video-ads-in-google-analytics/

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
Hi Adrian,

So the messaging that resource provides as coming from a Googler is spot-on. Tracking TrueView traffic in Analytics isn't going to be perfect, but that workaround will help improve the accuracy. The issue is that TrueView ads are intended to generate activity on YouTube — you want people to watch your video, perhaps more than one, then perhaps subscribe and view the rest of your channel. And Analytics is intended to track activity that happens on your website.

Someone could view your ad on YouTube and never go to your website. Or they could view the video ad, click around on other parts of your channel, and then go to your site. The traffic flow is not as clear. A user can behave in lots of different ways.

So if an advertiser uses the manual tagging that your resource suggests and sets up goals in Analytics to track conversions, they probably will capture some of the users that came from YouTube ads. But at this point, we can say with certainty that they will catch ALL visitors that came from YouTube ads.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for explaining this in more detail. I have given him the blog link and Calin (AdWiser) was kind enough to join and confirm that this work around is the right path to take. I'll give him the link with your answer also.