Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

CTR for InVideo ad

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Just reading a table with stats for an InVideo unskippable ad, created in the Ad Gallery (InStream but not TrueView), and it has a CTR of 10% and a relative CTR of 2.6 which I spontaneuosly think I should be very satisfied with.

But then again, if this is an unskippale ad, why doesn´t it have a CTR of 100% - how is CTR actually calculated in this case?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Valentine (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: CTR for InVideo ad

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi David,

I think that the format you are referring to is our Standard in-stream ad, which is 15 seconds unskippable video ad that serves as a pre-roll in the video player before video content that users are trying to watch on YouTube and sites of the Google Video Network.

Standard (15 sec) in-stream ads behave exactly like display ads:

• Created from the Ad Gallery in your AdWords account
  • Bought on a cost per thousand impressions (CPM) or cost per click (CPC) basis depending on your marketing goal
  • They compete in the auction with all other eligible ads for a specific placement (text overlay, in-video image overlay and TrueView ads) based on eCPM and quality score.
  • We count an impression every single time the ad is served, and a click whenever the user clicks on the ad (If you chose a CPM bid, the advertiser is charged every time with serve the ad 1,000 times. If you chose a CPC bid, the advertiser is charged every time the user clicks on the ad).
  • When the user clicks on the ad, he is redirected to the destination URL set up by the advertiser when he created the ad from the template in Ad Gallery in AdWords.
  • The user has to watch the full ad to be able to continuing on to the content that he wanted to watch. There is no way to skip this ad.

Because this ad behaves like a normal display ad, your CTR is an actual click through rate, calculated as the ration between the number of times the ad was served and the number of times it was clicked on by users (CTR = clicks / impressions).  If you have a CTR of 10%, it means that you received 1 clicks for every 10 times the video ad was served. A relative CTR of 2.6 means that your ad got an actual CTR that is  on average 2.6 times better than other ads on the placement your ad was served on.

We do not report on view rates or complete rates for Standard InStream ads as the users has to watch the ad (therefore, your view rate and complete rates would be at 100%). This format also does not enable you to accrue views on your video on YouTube or get engagement from your audience, as it is not a user choice format. Therefore, we also do not report on video specific metrics (number of views, cost per view, likes, shares, subscribes, earned views, etc.) which are only available for our TrueView format.

Standard InStream ads created in the Ad Gallery in AdWords should not be confused with:

1. The in-video static image (overlay) Template in the ad Gallery
    This format is a 480x70 image ads that appears in the video player on YouTube and sites of the Google Video Network, at the bottom 20% of the video content that the user is watching. This image ad can be bought on a CPM (cost per thousand) or CPC (cost per click) base and redirects the advertiser to the destination URL that you specified when you create the ad from the template in the Ad Gallery.

2. TrueView in-stream ads in AdWords for video.
    This format is a video that appears in the video player on YouTube and sites of the Google Video Network, before the content that the user is trying to watch. This video ad can be of any length (although we do recommend 45" to 1'30"). After the first 5 seconds of the video a "skip this ad" button appears at the bottom left, giving user the ability to skip the ad if they do not want to watch it. We only bill advertisers when the user chose not to skip the ad, which makes this format a pay per view format where advertiser bid on a max CPV (Cost per view Basis). This format is implemented and managed from the AdWords for video interface in AdWords.

I hope that this was helpful. Have a great day,

Valentine

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

A user will have to click on the ad and be taken to the click destination, Inview being website. Just because a 100% of users watched your ad to the end does not mean that 100% of users clicked your ad.

Just my understanding,hope this helps.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

In this case, VTR (view-through rate= views/impressions) should be 100% not CTR. CTR is the ratio between the clicks your ad received and the impressions.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you mean those ads are sold on cpc-basis?
Because this page claimes "In-stream ads are sold on a CPM basis".
But that page may be talking of adifferent kind of InStream ad than this one

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Well, thinking about, I am using CPC bidding for the campaign...

Does this mean that if people watch the whole video without clicking on it - I don´t pay?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Truly, when I read the second page I linked to above, I read that

"You can bid on either a CPM or CPC basis:
CPC: You won't be charged for each play of your video, but rather for customer clicks that load the Destination URL while your video ad is playing.
CPM: Charges are counted as soon as the ad plays. The CPM minimum for partner video sites is set individually by each publisher and therefore varies. This minimum is also specific to the US, and may vary per market."

I wonder how the CPM-pricing is set for that.
I see a very low cpc at least, gonna have to try a CPM-campaign as well...
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Valentine (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi David,

I think that the format you are referring to is our Standard in-stream ad, which is 15 seconds unskippable video ad that serves as a pre-roll in the video player before video content that users are trying to watch on YouTube and sites of the Google Video Network.

Standard (15 sec) in-stream ads behave exactly like display ads:

• Created from the Ad Gallery in your AdWords account
  • Bought on a cost per thousand impressions (CPM) or cost per click (CPC) basis depending on your marketing goal
  • They compete in the auction with all other eligible ads for a specific placement (text overlay, in-video image overlay and TrueView ads) based on eCPM and quality score.
  • We count an impression every single time the ad is served, and a click whenever the user clicks on the ad (If you chose a CPM bid, the advertiser is charged every time with serve the ad 1,000 times. If you chose a CPC bid, the advertiser is charged every time the user clicks on the ad).
  • When the user clicks on the ad, he is redirected to the destination URL set up by the advertiser when he created the ad from the template in Ad Gallery in AdWords.
  • The user has to watch the full ad to be able to continuing on to the content that he wanted to watch. There is no way to skip this ad.

Because this ad behaves like a normal display ad, your CTR is an actual click through rate, calculated as the ration between the number of times the ad was served and the number of times it was clicked on by users (CTR = clicks / impressions).  If you have a CTR of 10%, it means that you received 1 clicks for every 10 times the video ad was served. A relative CTR of 2.6 means that your ad got an actual CTR that is  on average 2.6 times better than other ads on the placement your ad was served on.

We do not report on view rates or complete rates for Standard InStream ads as the users has to watch the ad (therefore, your view rate and complete rates would be at 100%). This format also does not enable you to accrue views on your video on YouTube or get engagement from your audience, as it is not a user choice format. Therefore, we also do not report on video specific metrics (number of views, cost per view, likes, shares, subscribes, earned views, etc.) which are only available for our TrueView format.

Standard InStream ads created in the Ad Gallery in AdWords should not be confused with:

1. The in-video static image (overlay) Template in the ad Gallery
    This format is a 480x70 image ads that appears in the video player on YouTube and sites of the Google Video Network, at the bottom 20% of the video content that the user is watching. This image ad can be bought on a CPM (cost per thousand) or CPC (cost per click) base and redirects the advertiser to the destination URL that you specified when you create the ad from the template in the Ad Gallery.

2. TrueView in-stream ads in AdWords for video.
    This format is a video that appears in the video player on YouTube and sites of the Google Video Network, before the content that the user is trying to watch. This video ad can be of any length (although we do recommend 45" to 1'30"). After the first 5 seconds of the video a "skip this ad" button appears at the bottom left, giving user the ability to skip the ad if they do not want to watch it. We only bill advertisers when the user chose not to skip the ad, which makes this format a pay per view format where advertiser bid on a max CPV (Cost per view Basis). This format is implemented and managed from the AdWords for video interface in AdWords.

I hope that this was helpful. Have a great day,

Valentine

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Very useful information I am reading here.

I have to try this Ad format too , is it available World Wide ?

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi Adrian,

All this formats are available in the 70+ markets where we monetize YouTube videos. The variety of our formats allow you to reach the right audience with the right message at the right time, using the most impactful format for your marketing objective.

Have a good day,

Valentine

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Valentine,
that´s a very informative answer.
And if I understand you correctly I only have to pay (when bidding CPM) when the user watches the whole InStream ad?