Guide Me
star_border

CTA Overlay Doesn't Get Clicks

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

My issue is that I run TrueView in-stream ads and despite having many views who see the ad until its end and are interested in its content, I still see virtually no clicks on the CTA overlay (the Call-To-Action layer that can be set both on AdWords & on YouTube). For example, in one campaign around 500 people saw it until its end but there are only 2 clicks. 

See image here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2xypk2gpps9o9j/sample2.PNG  (15% of 3300 = ~500)

This behavior repeats itself in other campaigns withe the same/other ads. The ad I run in the above sample is a 10 minute video (yes, 10 minutes) where at the end the charismatic speaker asks the viewers to click the link below - there is no way that only 2 clicked out of the 500 people who've watched it until the end (and out of the ~750 who've watched at least 5 minutes of it).

In another thread Craig B writes that "Keep in mind that the CTA will only run on videos that are not monetized." This is not the case in my video so the CTA overlay should appear in every ad impression to my understanding.

Any help that will help me to understand the minimal number of clicks will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Hovav V

What reporting metrics (youtube, adwords, etc.) are you referring to when you say "500 people saw it until the end but only 2 clicks" ? 

Also, hAve you implemented a tracking pixel to the CTA overlay? 

When it comes to TrueViw In Stream ads, viewers can choose to skip the video ad after 5 seconds. If a user does not skip the video ad, the YouTube video viewer watches 30 seconds of the video ad (or the duration if it's shorter than 30 seconds) or engages with your video, whichever comes first.

Video interactions= clicks to visit your website, call-to-action overlays (CTAs), cards, or companion banners.) 

-Julia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Julia.

Here is the metric, from Goolge AdWords:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2xypk2gpps9o9j/sample2.PNG

it was attached to my message but the image is not available anymore for some reason.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Hovav V,

YouTube video view count will be incremented when the viewer engages with the video ad or watches 30 seconds of the video ad (or the duration if it’s shorter than 30 seconds), or engages with your video, whichever comes first. Video interactions include clicks on the call-to-action overlays (CTAs), cards, and companion banners. 

Using the screenshot you provided as an example: 

Impressions = How often your ad is shown. An impression is counted each time your ad is shown. (Ex.- your ad was shown but the viewer chose to "skip ad") 

Views= show you the number of times people watched or engaged with your video ad. 

View rate=shows you the number of views or engagements your video ad receives divided by the number of times your ad is shown.

Clicks=the number of times people clicked on your actual video. 

If you want to be able to track clicks to

your website, you need to

implement a tracking pixel- click trackers are supported for third-party tracking clicks on select site-served ad units. 1x1 image pixels are allowed on the impression, view, and skip events, but not midpoint and complete events.

Hope this helps! 

-Julia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So very nice to see this topic discussed! Have clients doing YouTube Bumper Ads, and there is confusion as to whether the CTA overlay card shows when their :06 video / bumper ad is viewed / triggered as an ad. 

Some documentation seems to indicate that CTA overlays ARE displayed, however I don't think I've ever seen one when being served an ad myself on YouTube.

Can you help clarify?

Thanks so much!! 

KD

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Julia - 

Have clients doing YouTube Bumper Ads, and there is confusion as to whether the CTA overlay card shows when their :06 video / bumper ad is viewed / triggered AS AN AD. 

Some documentation seems to indicate that CTA overlays ARE displayed, however I don't think I've ever seen one when being served an ad myself on YouTube.

Can you help clarify?

Thanks so much!! 

KD