Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

CA + In-Stream

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there!

I am trying to understand the custom affinities using these for my in-stream ads.

There are literally no materials available and no one really knows how these work.

Previously I have been using URLs with 1 keyword (5:1) and it did work. To get the 'working' URLs I was using Youtube videos & websites with GA installed (or AdWords tracking, Tag Manager etc).

The assumption was - AdWords took the content of the website and tried to organize into one topic. I was naive enough to believe they use data from the search console and the indexed keyword structures to understand my CA.
And it used to work for quite some time but the algorithm was apparently changed end of 2015... Basically from now on AdWords takes domains only into consideration (and not the content itself)

I have noticed that the CAs with 2-3 Keywords have the best performance...

Guys, the question is - how does it work? What experience do you have?
Do the URLs work? GPS coordinates maybe?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ievgen
May 2016

Re: CA + In-Stream

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi ievgen,

Thanks for posting to the Community! While I can't share complete details about how the Custom Affinity targeting works to compile a group of users to target, I can try and shed a little more light on the feature:

• I do want to note that it is currently not possible to create new Custom Affinity audiences from a Video campaign. Currently, a CA needs to be created in a Display Network campaign before it can be added to a Video campaign
  • With Custom Affinity targeting using URLs, the system is not actually finding users that went to the sites entered. Rather, it's looking at the URL to determine the top themes & then finding users who have browsed those top themes. You can get as specific as you’d like with your URL, but the system will only look at the specific page you provide.

It sounds like you're probably looking to hear from other advertisers about their results, so I'll leave that to our other Community members.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you, Cassie
Yeap, waiting for other people to join the discussion but... no one joins the party ;(

Cassie, could you tell pls if the crawler by analyzing the urls for a ca considers the breadcrumbs? I mean the elements of the string (nesting) or just the domain as it is (google.com)

Appreciate your help!

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi ievgen,

Unfortunately I don't have any additional info I can share about how the system crawls pages beyond what I posted above, but the system will only look at the page your provide, not the website as a whole, to determine those themes. I would advise that in any case, you should use your results from your tests and experiments first and foremost in the decisions you make about your targeting.

Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I see. Thank you

CA + In-Stream

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Give a speech about what you're going to be doing with your business a let others know what you're busis about