AdWords
6.8K members online now
6.8K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Broad match modifier doesn't work for "In Display" Youtube search campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I created a new campaign only for Youtube search, using "In Display" ads only. This campaign only targets Youtube search. All the keywords I entered are either exact match (the [ and ] brackets) or broad match modifier (+ in front of word). I let the campaign run for a day and today I went to check the "search terms" customers were entering in Youtube.

It seems like the broad match modifier and exact match syntax don't work when entering keywords for a Youtube search campaign?

For example, I entered the following keywords:
+chinese +language +online
[chinese tutor]
+learn +chinese +online

When I check the search terms customers used, I see the following returned:
시드니
how to learn japanese

시드니 isn't even English! It's Korean. I looked it up with Google translate and it translates to "Sydney". As for "how to learn japanese," none of my keywords have "japanese" in it (as you can see in the list of keywords I typed above).

The broad match modifier and exact match syntax work fine for my other campaign that targets Google search. Why is it not working for my campaign that targets Youtube search?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Broad match modifier doesn't work for "In Display" Youtube search campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Gadwin,

My understanding is you have a problem with search terms that you think are not matching your keywords, still they earned a few impressions. Could you please tell me how many impressions the above irrelevant search terms accrued and what was the total number of impressions earned by your new campaign referred-to above in the same period of time?

Best,
Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Lakatos. Here are some impressions for my keywords (with impressions in brackets):

+chinese +language +online (1385 impressions)
[chinese tutor] (0 impressions)
+learn +chinese +online (859 impresions)

I have more keywords than this though. I just listed 3 keywords for simplicity. The total number of impressions for all my keywords was 4,511. The total number of impressions for the irrelevant search was 15.impressions, broken down as below (impressions in brackets):

시드니 (7 impressions)
how to learn japanese (8 impressions)

Keywords for Youtube search isn't working the same as it is for my other campaign with targets only Google search. For my Google search campaign, the keywords works properly - I only use broad match modifier and exact match in that campaign, and the search terms that I see customers searching is what I expect.

Is it possible that because Youtube search is a video campaign, broad match modifier and exact match don't work for this campaign type? That would be the only logical conclusion.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Gadwin,

Thanks for the stats you posted. The calculated error seems to be around 0.3%. (15/4511)

Quite a number of years ago we did experience similar tiny problems in Search campaigns which makes me think the core of the issue is more likely associated with the development and continuous improvement of the appropriate algorithms. While I feel your pain, I'd say that's the way how technology advances. However, I am not a software engineer, therefore take my word with a pinch of salt.

Best,
Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Please note that on the Display network all keywords work collectively as broad match;
>>"On the Display network, all keywords are considered broad match only. This means that you don't need to include plurals, misspellings, and other variants of your keywords."
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497680?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Gadwin, I am really sorry but I am not quite sure what type of ad campaign you were running on youtube? Is it a campaign as per the definition described on the help page linked-to below and quoted from?

Quoting verbatim:
"In-display ads appear in places like on YouTube search results, next to related videos, on the YouTube homepage, and on partner sites and apps. They invite users to click on a thumbnail to watch your video ad and help your videos get discovered by an interested audience."

***   TrueView video ad formats   ***
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2383007?hl=en

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Lakatos.  I am running a Youtube "In-Display" Trueview video campaign, focusing on Youtube search, using keywords to find the correct target audience. So the answer to your question is yes.  But I am using keywords in my ad group.  I am hoping to serve my ad based on what keywords the target audience types in Youtube search.

As my website is about Chinese tutoring, one of the search terms a customer typed - "how to learn japanese" is not relevant to my ad.  I don't want that type of customer clicking on my ad because chances are, I probably won't convert that customer so it's a waste of money.  With my Google search campaign, I can ensure my ad is never served to a customer that types "how to learn japanese" by using the broad match modifier and exact match syntax for my keywords.  But it seems like the broad match modifier and exact match syntax is not supported for Youtube campaigns.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi MosheTLV. Yes, I think the Display Network only supports the broad match syntax. I don't think it supports the syntax for broad match modifier (+) or exact match ([ and ]) . I think the broad match modifier (+) or exact match ([ and ]) keywords I entered is causing problems for the algorithm Google is running for the Display Network and that would explain why I am getting irrelevant search terms.

MosheTLV, if I just change my keywords to broad match for my Youtube search campaign, what type of keywords should I enter? My website is for people that want to find a Chinese tutor online so obviously, I want to serve my ad to people on Youtube that want to learn Chinese. I'm thinking of the following keywords:

learn chinese
learn chinese online
speak chinese
study chinese
chinese lesson
chinese tutor
beginning chinese
introduction chinese

For my Youtube search campaign, should I list more keywords or is the algorithm smart enough such that I only need to list a few keywords and the algorithm will be able to "correctly guess" what my target audience is and serve my ad to the correct target audience on Youtube search?

The keyword list above only lists 8 keywords (I have more keyword ideas that I could add to the list though). For Youtube search campaigns, is it better to list more keywords or list less keywords?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gadwin G
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Gadwin G;

Read my article about the topic;

Display Network - How many Targeting Methods to choose?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

"I always start with keywords. Keyword targeting defines the “framework” of the business or products promoted. 10-15 keywords should suffice to define the theme of the products or services promoted. I see in many campaigns that advertisers use dozens of keywords for a display campaign. This isn't necessary. On the display network keywords work collectively to define a broad theme which is matched to the content of webpages. Hence, using long tail keywords, or too many keywords - is a redundancy."

Just read your article.  Thanks!  I'll create a list of about 10-15 keywords.

I had a feeling that the algorithm for a Trueview/Youtube campaign works differently than the algorithm for Google search campaign, with respect to keywords.  It looks like the algorithm for Trueview/Youtube looks at the group of keywords you enter and attempts to derive a "theme" or "customer profile" based on that.  That's probably why the broad match modifier and the exact match syntax is not recognized in Trueview/Youtube campaigns.