Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Average View Length Different in Youtube Analytics and Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm currently running a Trueview in-stream campaign and am seeing large discrepancies between average view length in Adwords and in Youtube Analytics. 

Youtube analytics shows, for strictly video traffic from our campaign, an average view length of 1:23 and 75% (the video is around 1:39 total). In Adwords, the percentage quartiles (25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%) show only 9.8% and 7.9% of views reaching 75% and 100% respectively. 

I've read about explanations for discrepancies in view count between the two platforms, but our view counts essentially match. We just want to know an accurate average view length and cannot trust the Youtube Analytics number when its that different from what we're seeing in Adwords. 

Thank you,

Nick

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Average View Length Different in Youtube Analytics and Adwords

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Nick,

Thanks for posting to the Community. Since it doesn't look like any other members have experienced something like this before, I want to go ahead and escalate this to our tech team for you. Please be on the lookout for an email from me with more details.

Cassie

Re: Average View Length Different in Youtube Analytics and Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cassie,

Ar there any news on this issue? We've just faced the same problem.

Average View Length Different in Youtube Analytics and Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys, I`ve got the same problem too

In Adwords you can see Video played to, an YouTube analytics you see watch time and views. 

In my case I`ve got 

2,021 interactions in Adwords

video played to 75% was by 40.94%, which means 2021*0.4094 = 827 views

video played to 100% was 33.35%, which means 2021*0.3335 = 674 views

In YouTube Analytics, there is just watch time of 514mins and 2 203views, which gives aprox. 93% average percentage viewed. 

514/2203 = 0.233min *60s = 13.99s of video played

In my case, the video length is 15s, so (13.99s/15s)*100 = 93.26%

IMHO this YouTube metrics doesn`t say anything about the users ad interaction, because it`s an average no. If there is more than 100%, e.g. 104%, it means that user rewinded video, so he watched more than a full lenghth of it.