Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Advice on optimizing in-display and placements campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am running a Video campaign for a travel startup. We are trying to target users that are planning a trip to Paris, France. 

We have tested a number of campaigns and have so far seen mild success from an 1) In-display Search only campaign, 2) an In-Stream Placements campaign, 3) and an In-Stream Topics campaign. Each campaign is targeting the US only. 

1) For the In-display Search only Campaign we have created two different campaigns that differ only in the ad copy and the keywords used.

The first keyword list uses broad terms in relation to travel and paris, paris tourism, top paris attractions, etc. There are about 20 keywords. We have received 4 thousand impressions and 11 views. No click-throughs

The other list has similar keywords but I have placed the keywords in quotations to test the phrase match function. We have received 1 thousand impressions and 1 view. No click-throughs

Each of these two campaigns have a budget of 0.50 cents a day: CPV= 0.15 

2) In-Stream Placements

We have 88 videos being targeted that are related to Paris and travel which we have selected for manually. I try to grow this list every so often by adding videos. We have received 115 impressions and 25 views. No click-throughs. 

Budget: $1.00/day; CPV = 0.15 

3) In-stream Topics

Topics: France, Air Travel, Paris, Adventure Travel, Specialty Travel, Sightseeing Tours, Travel guides and Travelogues

This campaign has received over a thousand views, with a view rate of 30%, but only 5 clicks to the actual website with no conversions. 

Budget: $1.00/day; CPV = 0.05

Does anyone have advice on optimising placements, keywords, and the topics targeting? Any references, blogs, or resource you can point me to? 

We are willing to increase the budget but have yet to see any success in any of the campaigns. 

Thanks,
Filip 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Advice on optimizing in-display and placements campaign

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Filip,

Thanks for posting to the Community! There's no one-size-fits-all solution, but I'm happy to give you some suggestions based on what you've provided here.

First I would ask, how long have these campaigns been running? Is this something you've tested for two weeks, a month, or a different amount of time?

Second, are you using any sort of location targeting or call-to-action overlays?

Lastly, how long are the ads that you are displaying? Videos that are a few minutes long are going to have a much lower engagement rate than a video that is, say, thirty seconds. You may even want to do some research into what kinds of videos people in your industry are making. Is the content engaging? Is it something that would make a viewer want to click through to your site?

Cassie

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cassie,

Thanks for the reply!

The Campaigns have been running for 3-4 weeks.

We are targeting the US only.

We are using call-to-actions. Both with the card feature and the call-to-action overlay feature.

The video is 1 minute and 17 seconds long and was professionally filmed and edited. I think it is a quality ad and it does receive about 30% view rates on average ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVVHM5JGyjo ). Youtube Analytics shows that the majority of people who do view the video watch it until the very end. However, It does not receive any clicks to the site leading us to believe it is not being shown to the right audience i.e people who are interested/planning to visit Paris.

For the In-Display Search Only campaign, we used broad phrases but this lead to the ad being displayed for very irrelevant search terms. So we placed quotations around the keywords and started a new campaign to test phrase match keywords. These phrase match keywords have resulted in zero impressions.

Do you have any suggestions or resources that would help us test different strategies for the in-display search only campaign? The issues is that broad match keywords result in the ad displaying for irrelevant search terms while phrase match keywords are receiving zero impressions.

For the placements campaign, we are continually having to search out and add videos manually as otherwise the campaign starts receiving zero impressions after a couple of days. Any suggestions for placements-targeting campaigns?

Thanks for the advice!
Filip

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi Filip,

Thanks for the additional details. Keyword match types only work on Search campaigns, so putting your keywords in broad or phrase match in your Video campaign will unfortunately not make a difference in their targeting. 

I've found through working with many advertisers that keyword targeting is often too broad for Video campaigns where you're looking for a direct response, rather than a general branding effort. Have you explored Interest, Topic, or Remarketing targeting instead? These groups of users would be more curated based on a user's history, and may lead you in a better direction than the keyword targeting!

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cassie,

Thanks again for the reply.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I am running a search campaign. Specifically, we are running two campaigns that are In-Display and are Search Only (within settings under "Networks" we have selected "Youtube Search" and do not have selected "Youtube Videos" and "Include video partners"). So in this case, your suggesting that keyword targeting is too broad of an approach?

We are running Topics and Interest campaigns.

The details of our Topics campaign I have mentioned in the first comment.

We are running an interests campaign that is targeting in-market interest that includes Paris (air travel destination) and Paris (hotel location). We have a set budget of 1 dollar/day and max CPV of 10 cents. We have had 860 impressions with 258 views and zero click-throughs. This campaign has been running for over 4 weeks. Any tips/suggestions to optimize?

Thanks,
Filip

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Hi Filip,

Ah, I see where the confusion is. Youtube Search is different from Search Network Only campaigns in that anything targeting YouTube is much more similar to a Display campaign in terms of how the keyword, placement, and other interest targeting works. So keyword match types in TrueView campaigns will not make a difference in terms of how broad or narrow your targeting is. That's why I have often felt that keyword targeting on YouTube is quite broad.

Based on what you have described here, it does not sound like any of the set-up of your campaigns is "wrong," nor does it sound like there is anything amiss. So I would recommend taking another look at your content. Have you tested different lengths of ads? Have you made sure that the content is highly compelling and engaging? The first few seconds of a YouTube video are when users decide whether to watch it or skip it (or click away), so it's especially crucial to "hook" the viewer as soon as possible--otherwise they won't want to stick around for a full minute or click through.

Hope this helps,
Cassie

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
Something else you could try is to take a different approach, Maybe more people are searching for travel information on Google Search than on youTube. So you could create a page on your website that focuses on Paris travel and embed your video in that page. Then use that page as the landing page for an Adwords search campaign.