AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Ads not appearing when I target a channel, only when I target the individual videos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

I've read similar queries to mine but the answers given don't seem to work for me.

I'm trying to target an instream ad at a specific set of channels.  I've loaded all 63 channels into the relevant placements tab and not included any other targeting other than country - UK.  I've also set a very high CPV, however delivery is only occurring on 3 of these channels.

I've looked into this with a couple of the channel owners and they have confirmed they have instream set as a option for monetisation within YouTube and they don't have any blocks within AdSense that could be stopping my ad appearing.   I've increased the CPV but still not delivered anywhere but those channels.

This morning I've added individual videos from one of the channels to the placements instead to see if that made any difference even though all the other queries I've read on this matter say you should be able to add just the channel URL and it is now working??

Can anyone answer why don't I see impressions when I add the Channel, only when I add the individual videos?

Is there a way round this as it's going to take ages to add all the videos for 63 channels individually each time I want to target them when I should be able to just add the channel?

Thanks in advance for your help
Donna 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Ads not appearing when I target a channel, only when I target the individual videos

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Donna H,

Any chance these are small channels and are unable to display your ads?  There were some big changes recently that impacted smaller channels.

https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2017/04/introducing-expanded-youtube-partner.html

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Most AD formats are paused right now, we still haven't had updates on when they will return. The only AD formats currently available are Pre/Post and Mid rolls. 

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/question-regarding-the-current-...

I've posted a thread about this as well. 

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/HH6nnDTXBnY;context-place=mydiscussions

All we can do is wait for updates at this point. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tommy

No, these are all channels that have received over 10k lifetime views - some are smaller than others but I'm targeting some where vlogs are posted daily and receive over 100k views each.

Targeting their individual videos works fine, I can buy those at 1p each. I just can't buy impressions when targeting the channel by itself even if I bid £1 CPV.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Boy

It is Pre-roll I'm trying to buy so the adformat is available.

Thanks

Donna 

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

I am having the same issue, 4 specific channels that will not give me any impressions. I will try individual videos to see if that works but would love to hear if you have an update to this. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Wilson

I received a reply from Google support and they explained that the channels are one entity and the videos another and that a channel may have more competition than the individual videos, meaning ads won't win the channel auction.    

Makes no sense at all to me as surely the channel is made up of the videos so bidding on the channel should include all the videos within.

I had set up max CPV of £1 on the channels and saw nothing yet I delivered ads on the videos on the channel at 1p CPV.  So where is the competition on the channel actually delivering as they're clearly not delivering on the video I can buy for 1p??

Hope it works for you with the individual videos, it's much more time consuming this way as you have to be aware of the new videos being published and add them manually each day and you can't then drill down to work out which channel is giving you the best performance if you have hundreds of individual videos loaded in with no channel name in them...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You are right. Just another example on how bad the platform is (both Adwords and dbm) in terms of targeting... relying on YouTube tags/topics is a real faith act and checking that no matter the topic you select that your ad will be delivered in Vevo and Peppa Pig channels