Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

ADWords in-display Video Campaign: Abrupt drop in views

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

we have an ADWords "in-display" video campaign running on since the 1st of March. We were getting around 90/100 daily views a day till the 28th of March, date after which our views abruptly dropped to 3/5 a day without apparent reason. I checked the change history myself and there's exactly nothing reported for that date or the days immediately before/after that date. We trying also rising the CpV to see if that was due to a change in competition but nothing seems to work. This is the first time we meet this kind of problem and we don't have any clue to solve it. Does anybody have suggestions?

Thanks for your advice,

Ivan

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ivan b
May 2016

Re: ADWords in-display Video Campaign: Abrupt drop in views

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Ivan, try to copy/recreate the campaigns in adwords. you can use adwords editor to build them from scratch (cause sometimes adwords 'remembers' things about your past performance and that's the only solution to accept the change for real)

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ivan, I do assume seasonal changes might perhaps be a possible clue to understand it. You may experience such sorts of dramatic decreases each year on Search, Shopping, and youtube ads too. Best, Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
1) quality - landing page or other factors got reanalyzed by Google
2) it was the end of the month - advertisers tend to spend abnormal amounts of money and the competition grows suddenly, your reasonable increase of the cpv isn't enough (maybe)
3) there was an internal change (I have faced this multiple times)
4) your audience decided to stay away from internet during the last 7 days (depends on the audience / content you target)

and so on Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lakatos, thanks for your answer.

Both videos and keywords used shouldn't be much dependant on season trends AFAIK. They are related to website development and web design ...

Regards,
I.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ivan b
May 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Ivan, try to copy/recreate the campaigns in adwords. you can use adwords editor to build them from scratch (cause sometimes adwords 'remembers' things about your past performance and that's the only solution to accept the change for real)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ievgen, thanks for your answers.

Regarding points 1-4:
1 - The landing page wasn't subject to changes in that period so I don't believe it could be applicable
2,4 - I would exclude that possibilities as we are constantly getting at most 5 views/day since then! (about 1 month + 1 week ago ...)
3 - I suspect that, but we found nothing published by Google or YouTube regarding that day or the days before. We were also afraid of having been penalized/banned in some way but we don't see any notification.

Regarding your last advice: It was exactly what I was thinking. Recreate the campaign from scratch without any targeting and then slowly applying all changes again to see what happens ...

Regards,
I.

P.S: Thinking again about your point n°1 ... we added call to action messages around middle March so your point could be applicable. We could have been penalized after  ...

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Sometimes it helps.
There is something really weird happening behind adwords sometimes
Good luck and let us know how it works for you Smiley Wink

upd : maybe, google hates popups 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We will probably get rid of the call to action banners and, if that doesn't help, try to recreate the campaign from scratch!

Thanks
I.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You know what? I copied the campaign ... and it works. The problem was probably due to some kind of bug.

Regards,
I.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thanks for letting me know, Ivan
Greetings from Krakow