AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

why am i getting charged for clicks on a call campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am being charged for clicks in a call campaign. We've gotten 3 messages from people TRYING TO SELL US STUFF. That has cost me $46. What is the point of this? Seems like Google is committing fraud. I can't get guy on chat to help me. In fact he's being intentionally false about his replies. "Campaign is paused you won't receive charges." "You were charged for clicks not calls."

Yes it's paused now I'm tired of being ripped off, doesn't address the past. Why was I charged $46 for clicks when it's a call only campaign.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Caroline B,

When you use the call only campaign, you are charged when someone calls or when they click through to your landing page, which usually ends up with a call. Google simply serves your ad based on the design of the campaign. Google also does not know why someone calls, such as in your case with people abusing your ad and calling to sell you stuff. 

You could send back your complaint to Google via this information. They are generally good about refunding amounts that are deemed invalid. 

Further, you could use a different campaign type, like text ads with call extensions? These would serve your ad and show your phone number. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Caroline,

in Call-only campaigns, you are charged when someone clicks on the phone number in the ad. This doesn't always result in a call because on their smart phone they need to additionally click on the dial button in the phone app. 

If you ads are attracting the wrong types of calls, there's three options for you:

1) Make the ad copy clearer, emphasising that you are selling a product. Putting a price in the ad often helps.

2) Tighten the keywords to involve intent. So instead of "blue widgets", use "buy blue widgets".

3) Give up on call-only ads. They don't suit every business.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

hi 

You were charged when you someone clicks your ad or calls your phone number. the clicks could end up in calls but sometimes they dont. there are spammers out there that you should be wary off

regards,

zaby