AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

what should I use: Google analytics conversion or adwords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Its so confusing to have 2 options..

Why the hell on earth use AdWords conversions while with GA I can see the picture of all channels and sources. What is the right of existence for the AdWords version? There should be one, but its not explained. (or cannot find it)

Also Universal Analytics covers remarketing too, like experiments.

Sounds to me like 2 departements of the same company competing each other.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: what should I use: Google analytics conversion or adwords?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Here's my (rather quickly formulated) opinion:

a) Not everybody uses Google Analytics as the analytics package, but they still want to see AdWords specific data
b) AdWords attributes conversions to itself, for 30 days after an ad click, on the day of the ad click, while Analytics attributes the conversion (outside the multichannel funnels) to the last source, on the day the conversion occurs.
c) Analytics launched in 2005 (Google acquired Urchin), while AdWords was around since 2000, so there had to be a way to measure conversions even before Analytics appeared.
d) As far as Analytics remarketing goes, it is possible, indeed, but then again, not everybody uses Google Analytics and, for instance, dynamic remarketing lists are only created in AdWords.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.