AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

what is the referral from adwords search?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi all,

i would like to know what is the current referrer adwords is sending if someone clicks on an ad on the search page (not GDN)

and also the referral from google search partners.

i mean the referral on the browser, not on analytics.

for example if a user on google.com is searching flowers:

will adwords send me a referral of google.com?q=flowers

or something else, like http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?...&q=flowers

i'm searching for a solution for a long time and can't find a final answer, i saw this though:

http://googleadsdeveloper.blogspot.co.il/2012/06/speeding-up-ad-experience-updating-ad.html

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: what is the referral from adwords search?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi There,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

The blog you shared answers your query very precisely. It talks what all possible referers an AdWords can have. But, there's simple way to find the referer using Google Chrome. I will describe the process for you -

1. Once you click an ad and you land on the website, open Chrome's Developer Tools,
  2. Go to the Network view
  3. Reload the page
  4. Now click on the main page request. Main page means the URL of the website your are on. It should be at the top in the list.
  5. When you click, you will get to see HTML codes in the right panel, look at the top
  6. You will find options like headers, preview, response etc.
  7. Click Headers and scroll down to find the Referer Information.

Yes, there you go!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks Ratan,
I was asking in general what is the domain adwords is referring from.
the solution you propose is per ad, i need to click an ad an check the headers.
isn't there a fixed structure of the referrer domain? (i don't care for all the utm params).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
This 2015 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question. 

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.