AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

what good are keywordblocks.com/referral in analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our G-Analytics account shows hundreds of referral visits from various versions of keywordblocks.com/referral.  The different versions have a numerical variation; i.e., 653656542keywordblocks.com/referral.

If I'm paying for these visits, I'm not happy because, from May 2011 to-date, we never had one conversion/transaction via this referrer.  In addition, the vast majority of their visitors provide a 100% bounce rate.  Our over-all average bounce is 67%.

I believe these referrals emanate from my Bing/Yahoo Advertising account because I "blocked" them 7 days ago within Bing's campaign management and, sure enough, no more visits!  I was happy to find there was a way to do this within the Bing Ad interface.

Would enjoy hearing from others who are frustrated with paying for useless clicks and have experienced a similar situation.  Also, have you found a way to cull these useless referrers out of your Google Ad account?  Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: what good are keywordblocks.com/referral in analytics

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

First, let me ask if you've segemented your view of your Analytics data by source/medium to figure out whether or not these clicks are coming from paid ad campaigns or from organic results?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Theresa,
For some reason I wasn't notified via email of your response in January. Please accept my apology for not replying sooner.
In Analytics I was viewing "All Traffic" then segmented "Referral," if that's what you mean. I clicked the sort over Bounce Rate to see which referral sites were of no value. All of the numerical versions of keywordblocks.com came up 100% except for two. Then I used the Advanced Filter to isolate Keywordblocks.com. After this I experimented with the second column, looking for session location/country, etc. Most of the visits a validly from the USA - a few from Canada and one from Pakistan. I was able to view the Referral Paths, which include many versions of, "/English_Vocabulary_Lists.cfm, /improve_your_vocabulary.cfm, /English_vocabulary_exercises.cfm, etc." Some of these terms are in my Google Adwords and Bing/Yahoo campaigns. So, I assume I'm charged for clicks within either Adwords or Bing but don't see how to verify this.
By the way, I did sucessfully block this site via my Bing/Yahoo campaign management, so it's solved. Now I'm working on other "culprits" which appear to be BOTS such as semalt.com and kambasoft.com (both from Brazil - we do not sell/ship to South America.) oops, gotta go now. thank you! Sandra

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm seeing those keywordblocks.com referral sites with 100% bounce rate. What exactly did you do to block them in your Bing/Yahoo campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Here is a great post regarding dealing with these spam bots. http://www.theedesign.com/blog/2015/blocking-spam-referral-traffic-google-analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. That's a great article!