AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

verifying phone numbers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There! I am having an issue. How do I verify our phone numbers as they all currently say "unverified" beside them.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: verifying phone numbers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm also having issues and the link that it takes you to for 'help' doesn't work. Ads are still running but I guess they won't be for long. There seems to be no way to actually verify these numbers which is strange considering we appear to be forced to do it.

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

westcorpinc,

Just has that issue today as well and after talking to Help desk. Here you go.

You should have gotten an email that tells you there are 3 ways to verify number. But most importantly is going to be exact match format from your ad extension destination number with the number being displayed in your code on the website.

1) Make sure the Destination number you are using for your Phone call, is actually on your site in the same format exactly.

888-888-8888 is not the same as
(888) 888-8888

look at your site code and match those two number up, Call forwarding still has a Destination number, It is the First number you enter when you Edit or create a Call Extension.

If you are using 3rd party call tracking, make sure the number in the CODE is exactly the same you use on your website - same as example above.

2) Make sure you have Google webmaster tools, and it is synced with your adwords account.

3) Ad adwords conversion tracking on your site ( No I questioned that and discussed Analytics tracking as well as installations of Google Tag Manager) More will be put out later.

The fix for me was the format issues of the numbers I display in the Call extension had ( ) while the website was a straight number.

Just make the format edits so that your Landing Page and your Destination Number are exact match in format and you should be re-verified for now. Then you can work on Webmaster tools sync if you don't have it, but hold off on the Adwords Conversion Tracking #3 until more info is put out about that.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6099637

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
How are AdWords going to get round the Call Forwarding Numbers then? If you are not using AdWords Forwarding Numbers on your site how can you verify those numbers in you Ad Extension?

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Nathan O wrote:
How are AdWords going to get round the Call Forwarding Numbers then? If you are not using AdWords Forwarding Numbers on your site how can you verify those numbers in you Ad Extension?

Nathan O,

This is all still  new and doesn't take effect until June 2015

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6099637

The issue is the Destination number you assign to the Ad Extension, not the random rotating call forwarding numbers.

Again this is all new, and  I have an issue with the Ad Extension which has a 3rd party call tracking static number, that is not published on the website.  Hopefully the Google Webmaster Tools Linking and some clarification on the policy will not effect the 3rd party Call Extension numbers.

We should be hearing something soon, as I have already made two phone calls, and the Community Team is aware of Potential issues already. 

Check back periodically for updates on that Answer Link above, announcements from the Community Team or your other Adwords Google resources.  

You can also contact support with the phone numbers listed inside your Account.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric Gehler (Badged Google Partner)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Hi All,

The AdWords Help Center details this policy, taking effect June 2015, at this link.

To summarise, you'll need to provide proof that the phone numbers associated with your ads are also associated with the business promoted in your ads in order for your extensions to be approved.

Phone numbers requiring verification will appear with an "Unverified" or "Unverified phone" notation on the Ad extensions tab. Select "Call extensions" or "Location extensions" from the drop-down View menu to see your phone number verification status.

You'll be able to verify your phone numbers using any one of these three methods:

1. Ensure the phone number used in your extension is present on the website featured in your ad. 
  2. Link your Google Webmaster Tools and AdWords accounts (Learn how).
  3. Add your unique AdWords conversion tracking code snippet to the landing page featured in your ad (Learn how).

For more information on these verification methods, check out the AdWords Help Center

Still have questions? Post them below!

Kathleen

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Am I getting this right - need for verification only applies to forwarding numbers?
Not to call extensions in general?

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
it looks like they updated the Help desk article- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6099637

this is now new:
Note: If you’re using 3rd party call tracking you can still use options 2 and 3 to verify your numbers. If applicable, your account team may update your account's verification status on your behalf.

@David_Percisera
My interpretation and based on Google account notice emails received and phone calls made to support, it applies to Call Extensions in General

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
strange, I haven´t got any email on it yet, and haven´t seen the "unverified" message.
Perhaps it hasn´t been rolled out to all countries