AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

utm tracking template

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

{lpurl}?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=sch-foods&utm_content={keyword}?{matctype}&utm_term={keyword}&{matchtype}&device=(device}&ad=(creative)
Why is the question mark used more than once?
Is it a broken tracking template?

I have an account with this tracking template which was doing great for about a week and then crushed unexpectedly. It happened after all the accounts ads were deleted by mistake and then re-uploaded again.

Do you think that the bad performance of the account could be related to a bad/broken utm template although it was doing great and running with this template for about a week?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

utm tracking template

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

The question mark shouldn't be used. I would either run it together or separate them by a hyphen (same with utm_term) . However, the page should still resolve. If you go to where you set up the tracking template and hit "test" it should give you an idea.

The tracking template itself is not going to cause poor performance as long as the landing page is resolving properly. Poor performance could mean many things depending on your goals. New ads have to establish history and since you had to add them again, they are considered new.

On a side note, if you are only using the utm parameters for Google Analytics, you can remove the tracking template and turn on auto-tagging. It will provide all the information you want in GA.

Best of luck.

utm tracking template

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Kerija K,

That template looks seriously broken to me. It won't work the way it should. Clicks are likely going to the right page, but your tracking data will be incomplete. I have seen tracking systems that embed a question mark or ampersand in the value part of the name/value pair, but I think it's unlikely that is the intention for the tracking template.

Not knowing the specifics of your tracking system, I suggest the tracking template should look something like this:

{lpurl}?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=sch-foods&utm_content={creative}&utm_term={keyword}&matchtype={matchtype}&device=(device}&ad=(creative)

This may not be what your system requires. The value of utm_content seemed to be the keyword, followed by a question mark, followed by the match type. BTW, matctype in that spot is mis-spelled. If your system expects to see this, you'll need to url_encode the question mark.

Right after that your template says: &utm_term={keyword}&{matchtype}. This is providing the same data as utm_content. That just doesn't look right.

What I have provided here in the corrected code will return the id of the ad shown, the keyword that triggered the ad and the matchtype, along with the other data. utm_content is intended to identify the ad copy shown. You could make a custom variable and provide text instead. The only question I have is what variable name does it look for to find the matchtype.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

utm tracking template

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot David.

utm tracking template

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your detailed explanation Pete.