AdWords
6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

?utm_source

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using Adwords and Bing. In Bing, I use the following tracking parameter for my Google Analytics account.

?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Bing1&utm_term={keyword}

For my Adwords ads, do I also need to add the same parameters?

Thank you.

Shawn

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: ?utm_source

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Shawn,

It depends.... If you are looking to see your AdWords traffic show up as such in Anaytics then you can use the auto tagging feature within your adwords account. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752125?hl=en you would also want to consider linking analytics and adwords on the analytics side so that you can pass metrics from analytics back into adwords ie. bounce rates, time on site, avg page views. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704341?hl=en

However if you were tagging so that you can track adwords traffic for another reason say a lead nuturing platform like Marketo or Hubspot or even a platform like Sales Force you may need to add tracking parameters to identify the source, medium, etc.

Did that help?

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Shawn,

If you use these parameters, you are able to track adwords data accurately in Analytics for each of your marketing platforms ( E.g. - AdWords, AdCentre, etc).

If you are also using a CRM/LMS to track user data ( from a form fill action on your landing page) then these parameters are also very helpful in doing so.

I use these parameters in all my marketing platforms and it helps me understand each platforms performance till date in depth thus allowing me to take strategic decisions regarding which platform/campaign/adgroup/ keyword i should be concentrating on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. It does help. I appreciate it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you also. Both your reply and the other has been very helpful in understanding how to use these items.