AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

tracking conversion of 2 buttons

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a website. There are 2 buttons. One is for free software download and other is for paid software download. How can I track conversions coming from these 2 separate buttons? I have setup Adwords Conversion tracking and a Thank You page is there.

Is there any way by which I could see conversions from these 2 buttons in Adwords columns separately?

Thanks,

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: tracking conversion of 2 buttons

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Ayush S,

My personal preference is to use Google Analytics as my main tracking source for conversion and imports the Goals, eCommerce etc back into Adwords.

I use the adwords platform for the functionality of running the system, but use Analytics as my tracking and ROI and conversion metrics. ( The AW section of Analytics is pretty nice IMHO)

With GA, you would just set a thank you page goal for each item. Also if your payment system is on your site, then the Ecommerce data is there as well, which correlates directly to the source of your sale. Perfect ROI calculations of Spend and Revenue in one place.

You link GA to AW, you can import the goals back, automatically.

I use GA for tracking because I get almost instant results, AW is a bit slower in tracking the conversion events. and the segmentation, and all the true website on your visitors is there. The Adword section inside Analytic is pretty good.

Of the top of my head, AW only tracks Conversions as All Conversions based on whatever source is credited to signify a conversion event.

Meaning is you have 3 -5 different items classified as a conversion, and
Item A gets 2 conversion,
Item B gets 3 conversions and
Item C gets 5 conversion,
The system will just add them all together as 10 conversions ( which you already know)

Check out Google Analytics if you haven't already there are some really nice advantages and tons of data if you are willing to deep data dive.

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Thanks for the insight. So do you mean 'Event Tracking'? If yes, what should be the right step-by-step (after inserting on click code) for these 2 buttons? I mean we have 2 buttons on the page. One is for free download and other leads to online buying.

Thanks,

Help for tracking conversion of 2 buttons

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

This is in regards with a latest question of mine with the same title of tracking 2 buttons on a single page. I was going through reply of one gentleman called Eric. He was so point to point and very helpful. But I guess the solution is still midway as he would be in different time zone.

My thanks to him and would like someone to please help me in getting conversion tracking set up for 2 buttons. The problems is :

I have a website. There are 2 buttons. One is for free software download and other is for paid software download. How can I track conversions coming from these 2 separate buttons? I have setup Adwords Conversion tracking and a Thank You page is there.

Is there any way by which I could see conversions from these 2 buttons in Adwords columns separately?

- Eric is right when he suggested me for GA tracking instead of Adwords. Someone please guide me through the steps or way by which I would be able to set up tracking of conversions from the FREE button and Paid download button.

Thanks,

Re: Help for tracking conversion of 2 buttons

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Ayush,

Which method you use really depends upon your programming ability.  To use AdWords conversion tracking all you would need to do is ensure your site passes information to the thank you page that informs it which button was clicked; with this you could then programmatically fire one conversion or another.  To use GA you could set up events for both buttons linked to GA goals, which can then be imported to AdWords (assuming the buttons are the last step in the process).

In either case I'd recommend using Google Tag Manager on your site as this will make both methods easier overall.  I can't point to a specific page but if you Google for "tag manager form submit" you'll find many many tutorials on how to achieve the button click tracking.

To fire different AdWords conversion codes, as long as your thank you page contains something in the URL that can be identified such as example.com/thankyou.php?type=free you can use a GTM rule to fire a specific conversion code tag only when the page URL matches this and another when it matches the paid URL.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Ayush,

If you're able to create two separate thank you pages for these actions, you can generate two conversion tracking codes and paste them accordingly, to track both conversions separately. Later you can come back to the campaigns page and 'segment by conversion name' to view individual conversions.

Hope that helps!
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Please elaborate " To use GA you could set up events for both buttons linked to GA goals, which can then be imported to AdWords (assuming the buttons are the last step in the process)."

Yes! There was event tracking on the 'Free Download' button. But I got it changed by creating a Thank You page Smiley Sad Now, there are conversion numbers in Adwords but I want to know if my Ads bringing conversions from the FREE Download button or Paid Download button. This is not known to me , as I am dependent on Adwords only.

So Eric, should I again delete the conversion code of Adwords and get back to square one with event tracking, which was the case in the past?

If Yes, how can I see which button brought conversions? I mean free download button or Paid download button

Thanks,

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Ayush, we'd really love to help you but it's almost impossible for us to do so by conversations here as it's a technical issue that really needs visibility of your website coding.  What you need is a developer who can edit your website code.  However, I'll try and make it as simple as possible:

Probably the easiest method is the one suggested by @Sumanth Sridhar that is to have two identical "thank you" pages, put two different AdWords conversion codes on each one, one for Free conversions and one for Paid conversions, then edit your page with the buttons so the Free button leads to the free thank you page and the Paid button leads to the paid thank you page.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
Ayush,

The simplest way is each button has a thank you page, and set up a Goal in GA as a conversion when they land on the individual Thank you pages. So goal 1 - thank you page 1, goal 2 - thank you page 2.

For event tracking
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/eventTrackerGuide