AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

the destination url of my google ad has utm parameters from my bing ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I wanted to test out some of my ads to make sure I got the destination URLs correct. I have found some two strange results. Here's what I did:

1. I logged into Adwords

2. I opened a "new private window" (I'm using Firefox a.t.m.)

3. I went to Google and searched for some of my keywords

4. When I see my ad, I hover over it to see the destination URL in the bottom left corner of my browser

Strange Result #1 - Bing UTMs

For one of my ads, the destination URL includes UTM parameters that I added to my Bing ads. Because I wanted to track conversions from Bing, I added UTM values to every single ad in Bing. I am NOT adding UTM parameters to my Google Adwords ads. Here is the destination URL that I copied from the ad (I've removed non-identifiable values):

http://www.my-domain.com/destination-page?utm_campaign=CampaignName&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&u...

Strange Results #2 - gclid=*

For a couple different ads, the destination url is appended with ?gclid=*. So the structure of the destination url is like this:

http://www.my-domain.com/destination-page?gclid=*

My questions:

1. Has anybody experienced anything like this?

2. Should I be concerned? When I go to the respective ads in Adwords, the destination is correct. I haven't appended anything.

3. Does Bing buy ads from Google? Is that why it's serving up an add with bing UTMs?

Thanks for any responses.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: the destination url of my google ad has utm parameters from my bin

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Stephen.
Welcome to the community.

To answer your questions, the &gclid=xxxx parameter is completely normal in AdWords. It's added by AdWords automatically if you have what's called "auto tagging" on. This parameter basically reports to Google Analytics some enhanced click and user metrics from AdWords. You can find out more here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1733663

Regarding the bing parameters, this is most definitely an issue of mistyped or mis-pasted URLs on your part. If the parameter is added it's because you added it somewhere by mistake. If it makes you feel better, it happens to me frequently!

The easiest way to find the parameter is to download AdWords editor from here: http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwordseditor/ then download your account and do a search for the parameter in your destination URL. You'll be able to pick it out easily that way.

It seems you have auto tagging enabled so the only thing Google will append is the gclid parameter. Anything else you will have added by yourself.

Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if/when you find the trouble maker.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Dave,

Great answer here. I just had a query on the following:

"To answer your questions, the &gclid=xxxx parameter is completely normal in AdWords. It's added by AdWords automatically if you have what's called "auto tagging" on."

I always thought that an GCLID is something that is dynamic in nature & is auto generated when your ad enters an auction or is it when a click occurs on your ad?

Does AdWords assign an auto generated gclid to every destination url of an ad that enters and wins an auction? I did a similar exercise described above and I too could see gclid appended to destination url's for many ads.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply and explanation of the gclid issue. Unfortunately, I wish you were right about the bing parameters and that it's a human error. I have triple and quadruple checked my ads both by logging into Adwords on my browser and by using Adwords Editor. I have NOT manually added any parameters to my destination URLs.

The mystery remains unsolved.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi ShashankSingh, Google appends a gclid to your landing page URL when an ad is clicked, if auto-tagging is enabled.

Stephan, is there anyone else that works with you on your campaigns?  It might help to flip back through your change history and see when this happened.  It might addd some clarity.  It could be that something old was reactivated and the parameters were accidentally/incorrectly updated awhile before.  I have to agree that it was most likely a manual error at some point. Fairly common and easily resolved, though!

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Amy,

I am aware of the gclid being appended to your destination URL when your ad is clicked. If you check my post above, my query was with the fact that Stephen was able to see an appended gclid when he hovered over his ad on the SERP.

Does this mean that a gclid is generated and appended to every destination URL being served on the SERP ? Although I can see the same phenomenon when I do a quick check for a random search, I was not aware this was done by AdWords.

A very simple query but would definitely help keep my basics clear.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Sorry, Shashank, I understood your question but my answer wasn't clear. I was trying to say that I believe it happens upon click.

Here's what the help section says:

When you enable auto-tagging, a parameter called gclid is added to your landing page URL when a user clicks over to your site from an ad. For example, if your site is www.mysite.com, when a user clicks on your ad it appears in the address bar as:

www.mysite.com/?gclid=123xyz

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033981?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just for clarity purposes, I don't see the gclid ID, I only see a star. I see www.mysite.com/?gclid=* and nothing else. In other words I don't see www.mysite.com/?gclid=123xyz. The 123xyz is replaced with a *.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nope. I'm the only person on the campaign and I know that I never added UTM parameters to my google adwords campaigns. Auto-tagging is and always has been turned on. I just reviewed the history for the campaign in question, and nope, no UTMs in the URLs.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Was this ever resolved? I'm seeing something similar where utm tagging is happening on the landing page but it is never in the destination url of the ad