AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

sudden drop in conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an adwords campaign that was performing very well for the last three months and then it had a sudden drop in conversions. 

The conversion rate for March-May fluctuated between 20-60% and then suddenly dropped to less than 10% at the end of May and worse for June.

Analysis of the change history for that period did not reflect any obvious reasons that would explain this sudden change.

I made a number of CPC, keyword status and desitnation URL changes on May 14 and then the conversion rates plummeted around May 23rd though the CTR remained approximately the same.

Currently the conversion rates for the adgroups in this campaign are performing at less than 10% than previous.

What can cause such a sudden decrease in conversion rate?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: sudden drop in conversions

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

That--"what could have caused this"--is one of those wide-open questions that frustrate us all. My sympathy.

First, I would suggest that if you made a number of changes and then conversions dropped? It's possible, even highly likely, that some of your changes are responsible.  

Specifically, I'm looking at where you said you changed destination URLs. Have you ever run any analysis to see which of the pages you use for campaign landing pages convert better than others?  It may be that you moved traffic from a high-conversion page to a low-conversion page.

This is where I'd start looking, and all the more because you say campaign CTR remained consistent. That suggests (to me) that you're getting the same kind of traffic but they are not now finding the site as attractive as others did previously.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*