AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

stats in Adwords and in the Google analytics are different for the same campaign/same day?

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

hi all,

I have noticed that I am not getting the same stats in Adwords and in the google analytics for the same campaigns

The number of clicks/visits differ a bit, and the placement info is completely different

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Cheers

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mg
September 2015

Re: stats in Adwords and in the Google analytics are different for the same campaign/same day?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi mg,

I am sorry I haven't gotten back to you on this sooner. I've been out of town in meetings all this week.

That certainly is a huge discrepancy in the reports of the 2 systems. It is unusual for visits to be more than clicks, but not impossible. I recently learned that Analytics uses a session-based cookie along with other tracking cookies. This cookie expires after 30 minutes. The user clicks on your ad and loads your landing page, then, let's say goes to lunch leaving the page open. That same user comes back after 30 minutes and clicks on an internal link on your page, a new session is started and is counted as a unique visit. Likewise, the user ctrl-clicks on your ad (to open in a new tab), and also actrl-clicks on your competitors' ads then spends more than 30 minutes "comparison shopping", it will result in an additional visit. That visit could be attributed to AdWords. The referrer for that visit will be your own web site. (I've wondered about that for a long time!) While your numbers are unusual, they are not far outside of the realm of possibility.

What does concern me is the very significant discrepancy between the systems numbers for managed and automatic placements. That is huge and way beyond any logic I could possibly apply. My questions are really meant to help direct us towards an answer. I have a bit of a strange troubleshooting flow chart.

That brings up the next question, but I'm not sure the answer to this will help, either. Are you looking at a period during which you added some automatic placements as managed? One more that probably won't help, are you using both manual and auto-tagging? Sometimes there will be discrepancies between the 2 systems because of the difference in date attribution, but this difference is a bit too dramatic for that to be the cause.

I have escalated this to a Google engineer for further investigation. They may wanto to know specifics of your account so they can look into it.

BTW, thanks for the kudos. I just try to help when I can.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: stats in Adwords and in the Google analytics are different for the same campaign/same day?

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 12
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi again,

I received a response from Google about the discrepancy I found between Automatic and Managed Placements in Google Analytics and Adwords.

It all comes down to the way Analytics categorizes the AdWords Google Display Network targeting methods, which is different to the way AdWords does.

AdWords breaks it up into different targeting categories: topics, interests, placements, remarketing...

However Analytics just categorises into up into Managed and Automatic placements. Thus, some of the visits AdWords is showing as "automatic placements", Analytics is showing as "managed placements".

Google recommendation was to use the keyword report in Analytics to track the AdWords Google Display Network targeting methods. For example:

• "Category matching' refers to visits from display topics campaigns
  • "User vertical targeting" refers to interest category display campaigns.

So, in summary; if you are using Analytics to track AdWords Google Display Network targeting methods in your site. Remember that:

• Placements information in Adwords and Analytics does not correspond to the same thing. So, ignore Placements info in Analytics all together
  • Keyword report in Analytics does not correspond do the keywords you used in your Adwords campaign
  • Use the keyword report in Analytics to track your Adwords targets
  • Your Adword targets have different names in Analytics (see above... "Category matching', 'vertical targeting' instead of topics, interests... )

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi mg,

For your placements, are you looking at paid traffic referrers? If, so, you won't see the same data as in AdWords as not all sites will provide this information.

Best of Luck,

Pete

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Thomas

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes, both accounts are linked.

Now I understand that clicks in Adwords are not the same thing as visits in Analytics

For the same range (1 month), the same campaign has 6016 clicks in Adwords and 6,777 visits in Analytics.I will live with that discrepancy now that I get the difference 

In the placement front, the info does not seem to match though

Adwords ( 6016 clicks )

Managed placements: 181

Automatic placements:  5,835

Analytics ( 6,777 visits)

Managed placements: 3,672

Automatic placements:3,105

cheers

[ Edited ]
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi petebardo

No, Im not using the traffic sources info

Just looking at Advertising ->Adwords ->Placements 

thanks!

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Tom

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your email and for letting me know about the difference between clicks and visits. Just with that, I learned something new! 

And you are right, this community and Pete are a great combination! 

cheers

mg

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mg
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi mg,

I am sorry I haven't gotten back to you on this sooner. I've been out of town in meetings all this week.

That certainly is a huge discrepancy in the reports of the 2 systems. It is unusual for visits to be more than clicks, but not impossible. I recently learned that Analytics uses a session-based cookie along with other tracking cookies. This cookie expires after 30 minutes. The user clicks on your ad and loads your landing page, then, let's say goes to lunch leaving the page open. That same user comes back after 30 minutes and clicks on an internal link on your page, a new session is started and is counted as a unique visit. Likewise, the user ctrl-clicks on your ad (to open in a new tab), and also actrl-clicks on your competitors' ads then spends more than 30 minutes "comparison shopping", it will result in an additional visit. That visit could be attributed to AdWords. The referrer for that visit will be your own web site. (I've wondered about that for a long time!) While your numbers are unusual, they are not far outside of the realm of possibility.

What does concern me is the very significant discrepancy between the systems numbers for managed and automatic placements. That is huge and way beyond any logic I could possibly apply. My questions are really meant to help direct us towards an answer. I have a bit of a strange troubleshooting flow chart.

That brings up the next question, but I'm not sure the answer to this will help, either. Are you looking at a period during which you added some automatic placements as managed? One more that probably won't help, are you using both manual and auto-tagging? Sometimes there will be discrepancies between the 2 systems because of the difference in date attribution, but this difference is a bit too dramatic for that to be the cause.

I have escalated this to a Google engineer for further investigation. They may wanto to know specifics of your account so they can look into it.

BTW, thanks for the kudos. I just try to help when I can.

Pete

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

thanks Pete.

google contacted us and will be looking into it.

cheers

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi mg,

I'm glad Google is looking into this. If and when you get an answer, would you please post here as much as you can share? It might help the rest of us.

Thanks,

Pete