AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

search terms report has clicks keywords tab doesn't

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I've noticed cases in our accounts where there will be a keyword that shows no clicks over a particular time period (or even never having a click over all time) on the keywords tab.  However, if I view the search terms for that keyword, I will see a search query that got a click (and the keyword column does show the keyword that I had selected to see search terms for), which doesn't really make any sense.  

I'm not sure if this is because invalid/fraud clicks are removed from the data shown in the keywords tab but not the search terms report (which seems very odd), or if this is a bug, or ...?

Any insight/help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: search terms report has clicks keywords tab doesn't

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello 

Both the UI and the report use the same source of data, actually the search terms report is a modification of the UI,
Check that you look at the same time frame for both reports

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi, thanks for the response.

Yes, I'm looking for the same time period -- in fact, there are keywords that this happens for when looking at "all time" -- i.e. the keywords tab says the keyword has never had a click at all, but the search terms report shows a click on one of its search terms.

Based on your wording, I'm not sure I made my question clear. To clarify, everything I'm talking about is in the UI. There are keywords that if I go to the keywords tab and just look at the data for a particular time period (sometimes "all time"), a particular keyword will show no clicks. If I select that keyword's check box then click on the "Details->Search Terms->Selected" menu item at the top of the keywords table, it will show a search term that has a click.

Thanks,
Greg

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Greg,

I have done this now for a number of keywords, for High volume/low volume and no volume and they all report the same number of clicks.

Would you be able to provide screenshots?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Sure.

I'm not surprised you didn't find an example by randomly looking.  It's a rarity (I generally see it on one or two keywords in an entire account).

Here is an example with a keyword that has never had any clicks according to the keywords tab (the date range is all time), but there is a search term with a click. I filtered down to this single ad group with its single keyword.  As you see, no clicks and no cost:

keyword-noclick.JPG

I got to the search terms screen by simply selecting the only row shown in the keywords tab, then clicking on the "Details->Search Terms->Selected" menu item at the top of the keywords table.  Here, you see the search term with a click and some cost:

searchterm-with-click.JPG

Thanks,
Greg

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Greg,

That is most bizarre, and I can only think of 2 possibilities here. One is that you have the keyword duplicated in your account (as unlikely as this seems, there are often many over looked duplicates). The other is as you suggested a click refund. I do not believe this would be removed from the SQR as the data you are provided with is not every single search query but rather every search query that was made and received a click or a large number of impressions (how large I am not sure as I have yet to see this case). So they would not remove this data because the click was refunded as it did still receive a click you just did not pay for it.

Would be nice if someone could confirm this.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the thoughts, Clynton.

I've verified the keyword only exists in that single ad group, even among deleted/removed keywords. So, it seems like what I originally said is likely true -- either click fraud is being removed from what we see in the keywords tab but not from the search terms page, or there's a bug.

Would anyone from Google be able to confirm one or the other (or some alternative we haven't thought about)?

Thanks,
Greg

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Greg;

Due to a technical bug; I can't see the screenshots-

Can you  upload to an external service  and share a link?

@KathleenG ; 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Sure.

Here is a link to the first image, of the keywords tab. It is showing all keywords (which is just one) in this single ad group for the "all time" time period. It has no clicks nor cost. http://postimg.org/image/b442rm33p/

Here is a link to the second image, that of the search terms screen. I got to the search terms screen by simply selecting the only row shown in the keywords tab in the first picture, then clicking on the "Details->Search Terms->Selected" menu item at the top of the keywords table. Here, you see the search term with a click and some cost: http://postimg.org/image/ovnpln8nd/

Thanks,
Greg

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Greg;  I see at the top of the screen shot "audience" targeted. Is that a search and display select campaign- ? Could you confirm that this is  a search campaign only?